Black attorney gets detained because sheriff thinks he's just pretending to be a lawyer

Attorney at law is a licensed profession. Without excusing Officer Dingbat in the slightest, I wonder why the attorney didn’t have his association card. In my working days (NOT an attorney), I never was out and about without my credentials relating to my particular brand of work and my official capacity.

I am rarely in court but when I am, I always have my bar card with me. But that’s only because at the courthouses here, there are two lines to go through security: one for the general public and one for lawyers, law enforcement, courtroom staff etc. The second line is usually substantially shorter.

Other than the security personnel checking to make sure I’m in the right line, no one has ever asked to see my card.

3 Likes

Nope.

26 Likes

I see that as like a country song line…

…The deputy then called his supervisor.

(chorus)
“I said, 'Well, shit, go right ahead,
Haven’t seen your boss since I punched him in the head,
After drinking too much celebrating the win at state,
He was being sloppy drunk with my girlfriend, Kate.
But I’m sure he’s forgotten all about that,
So just give him a call, I’ll be sitting in the back,
Of this real nice cop car with cuffs really tight.”
Well, shit - there goes my Friday niiiiight."

4 Likes

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

4 Likes

I took it to mean that the officer thought that the defendant was attempting to escape by posing as an attorney (I assumed that the actual defendant wasn’t free on bail).

I guess I assumed that was why the officer was there in the first place. .

(edit: after looking it up, it appears as though the defendant had a warrant out and did not attend the hearing, so its unclear why the officer was there)

1 Like

“and so WHAT if he got shot? He’s gonna get money!” - actually said by my stepson a few years ago.

1 Like

That one is on Interstate 10

3 Likes

First, the technicalities:

Maryland does not have a “bar card”, per se; it has a card sponsored by the Bar Association (which is a voluntary association), that is supposed to identify one as an attorney at the security check and allow you to pass through. (And everyone is allowed to bring in cell phones these days).

My card expired and I haven’t gotten a new one because it’s a pain in the ass - needs a photo, one trip to the sheriffs office and another to go pick up. Plus, I have a few other, better things to do. So, when I show up all dressed like I’m a lawyer (which I am), but without a card, I will get shit for not having one. Why? Because it means more work - and I mean that in the most trivial sense - for the deputies at the desk. Rather than waive me through as an attorney, they must now do one of two things: first, they can scan me just like they do everyone else, which adds 45 seconds of work, tops, to their day, OR they can exercise some discretion and say “aw, go ahead through” without the scan. The second option puts them at some risk, I suppose, should I suddenly lose my shit and start tearing up the place. I really can’t understand, otherwise, why I routinely get abuse for not having “the card”. This typically only happens in courthouses to which I don’t routinely go - at those that I frequent, they just say “hello” and waive me on through without checking shit.

Now, on to the peculiars of Harford County:

I lived, and occasionally practiced, there for over a decade. It was one of the more rural counties in MD, but has rapidly become suburbanized over the last 10 years. It’s a place where folks of the paler ilk seem to move to get away from “the element”. It’s getting slightly more progressive as more folks buy up farmland and build McMansions, but there’s still a strong undercurrent of the farmers and flee-ers there. The courthouse is in Bel Air, the county seat, which is the most progressive part of the county. And not by much.

The Sheriff’s office is an actual police force in Harford County (which cannot be said for Sheriff’s offices in other MD counties). They actually patrol, investigate, and arrest like a typical police force, and they cover the whole county, which encompasses everything from million-dollar, waterfront homes in Havre de Grace to less savory areas in the south and the farmland in between. It’s a pretty big county as far as MD counties go. That said, the guys at the door and in the courtrooms are not your average deputy - they are assigned to courthouse duty, never rotate out, and are often - very, very often - either close to or apparently even beyond retirement age.

I have never had a problem with these guys (other than the “where’s your card?” crap), and I cannot say I’ve run into one who was particularly rude or obnoxious. They are usually nice guys. But, then, I’m white.

I’m appalled and incensed this happened. I wish I could also say I’m surprised. Unfortunately, these days, very little racist bullshit surprises me.

15 Likes

Thank you for the clarifications. I fully agree with you about the reasoning for stopping the attorney and I find it appalling.

For the life of me I cannot fathom any rational reason that would require an official “stop” by an officer in those circumstances as described.

I am surprised there isn’t more of an identification process for official reasons as in many courthouses I have seen, attorneys on cases get far less security inspection at the entrance. I’ve even seen separate security lines for working attorneys.

1 Like

What the fuck?

FTFY.

5 Likes

Hoping for a lawsuit … seeking (high) monetary damages that, if awarded (or settled for a lesser amount) will go 1/3 to Andrew Freemen, Chelsea Crawford and the team at Brown Goldstein & Levy, and 2/3 to Rashad James. Congratulations to the taxpayers of Harford County, who get to pay all these lawyers, and to the Sheriff and Deputy who will not have to pay anything, will not be required to change any policies and will not learn anything about racial bias and bigotry. Speculating, of course, based on precedent.

I’m pretty sure that’s how sarcasm works.

2 Likes

“…and we look forward to a satisfactory outcome for all parties involved.”

Um, how about just for the wronged party?

9 Likes

https://www.ordineavvocatigenova.it/node/1087

In Italy lawyers have a regional association card with a mag stripe, and to enter the courtroom buildings they must have it. This iis for safety reason, because we have mafia and camorra and have had terrorist groups that are trying to kill judges.

Checking if a lawyer is an actual lawyer is a moot point after the fake lawyer fired at a judge with the sawed-off shotgun he had in its suitcase. (OT: not that mattered becausa mafia mined motorways to kill judges https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capaci_bombing)

2 Likes

Hey, another dumbass cop. What a surprise.

Wow, a quick google of Harford suggests their deputies are some really charming folks. This story is six days old.

(I live in another hemisphere. If this is a different Harford, let me know and I’ll delete).

3 Likes

I live there. Yeah, it’s a red county in a blue state, no doubt about it. And if you’re going to have any kind of non-consensual interaction with the cops (as in they pulled you over vs. you called them) you always hope for the Maryland State Police. The state troopers are just more professional, not to mention being a more diverse force so you have less chance of getting some kind of bigot.

7 Likes

It was at that point the deputy realised- he dun fucked up.

1 Like

It’s also been heroin central outside of Baltimore. They were opioid dependent before it was a big thing. That being said, the drug treatment programs they’ve developed is probably the only progressive thing they’ve done in decades.

3 Likes

That’s not what happened here, which means your comment is off topic.

Oh, and velcome to Boing Boing, comrade.

7 Likes