'Black Lives Matter' spelled out on Black Rock Desert, near Burning Man site

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/17/black-lives-matter-spelled.html

6 Likes

Related:

5 Likes

Sadly, I suspect it will be a matter of moments now until that is vandalized in some way by Nazis, Karens & Kens or other MAGAs if not your federal or state agencies. Sorry to be a downer, just a prediction based on the reported behaviours of people.

Addendum: frankly, from the outside looking in, your* great national experiment in fascism is frightening as all get out.
* I’m Canadian, and from what I see BB is majority US residents/citizens. Fully cognizant that Canada isn’t immune to fascist or raciest ideologies either.

4 Likes

Whatever happens the winter rains will bring back the lake which will render the playa surface back to its original - it’s all transitory out there

7 Likes

well, it’s not easy to get to the black rock, so it could be there for awhile. it’s not mentioned here, but someone was there last weekend and posted pix from the ground, and those letters are HUGE. it would take a lot of effort to obliterate them. or a big rainstorm.

EDIT: here’s the post at reddit about how big they are:

7 Likes

Looks like it is still there a week later via @geott on Twitter

6 Likes

No country is immune to those decrepit retrograde ideals, because they find the best place to grow in the heads of the stupids, then make those who embrace them feel cooler by being part of a bunch of strong rambos, while they’re actually armed Neanderthals.
The way it’s going on in many countries, I wonder if WWIII will turn out to be a worldwide civil war in which every nation left and right will fight until mutual annihilation.

2 Likes

It is nicely done. I was worried about the kerning between AC in BLACK and TT in MATTER, but it looks fine when you turn it the right way up. In my Letraset days I would have been happy to get this smooth.

1 Like

Ah, now I see it here I was able to go back to the pics in the post and see it. Couldn’t before. Thanks.

1 Like

Well sited, as I’ve heard from a Burner friend:

Q: How can you tell that you’ve got white privilege?
A: The first thing you think when you see BLM is Bureau of Land Management

(in reference to Burning Man, a mostly-white event, being held on BLM land)

Part of the hard but essential work ahead is rewiring the geographies of our minds.

This label literally puts the essential message on the territory itself; though the map is not the territory, it should follow in due course, or be replaced.

3 Likes

Anyone know how the letters were made? I know in HI, people often use white coral rocks to spell out messages on the dark lava flows, so…?

Yeah, we were camped just south of the ring around the edge. We could see a truck going the same direction across the desert over and over again. I thought maybe it was a 14 year old learning to drive. Then we saw an airplane, guessed that it might be land art, so we drove around and asked various campers. At some point, we drove across the letters, but we did not know what it said. Eventually we found the artists (who shall remain anonymous) and drove the entire phrase with the GPS turned on. Attached is a screenshot of the GPS. It was pretty fun guessing what it said, sort of a Vanna White moment, but we figured it out quickly.

6 Likes

I would actually love to hear some accounts from other Black people regarding their experiences at Burning Man. Mine was a mix of feeling unintentionally not included to downright exclusionary at times. Thankfully I was with a great group of friends but I attended in 2012 when the term microagression wasn’t as well known.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.