Black Lives Matter. Still

7 Likes

Seems like a lot of people can’t get past Cornel West’s style* to hear what he’s saying. I love what he says. Don Lemon listens, and West got him crying this time. Me too.

*I actually love his style, but I don’t think it’s what matters.

13 Likes

Seems like a follow up to reports like this:

14 Likes

Just exhausting.

13 Likes
12 Likes

Video shows California officer shoot homeless Black man - ABC News (go.com)

The video shows Wilson, 32, and Hall standing feet apart and facing each other in a public parking lot used by carpoolers where Wilson had been staying.

Hall appears to move toward Wilson, as Wilson appears to step backward. Hall points his gun at Wilson, who is facing him and then Hall shoots once, the video shows. Wilson collapses on his back and Hall stands over him.

As usual, officer “in fear for his life.” Fuck.

15 Likes

Looking forward to the defense’s argument that according to general relativity, there’s no way of differentiating whether Wilson was moving toward Hall or Hall was moving toward Wilson, and thus Hall was right to fear that Wilson was, in fact, “coming right at him”.

10 Likes

“Everybody needs to acknowledge that the story of the United States started with a genocide,” Peck says. “Until you can do that, nothing makes sense.” He believes this is the first time such concepts have been delineated in a film. “I don’t know any other film that voices it so clearly and so solidly. It’s like a no-no in the US – you don’t play with their origin story. There clearly have been big differences between immigrants, refugees and natives. They decided to call it a country of immigrants, but it’s not.”

12 Likes
16 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing this… It looks amazing from the trailer.

8 Likes

depressingly, it sounds like that was the defense the first time he murdered someone

The killing of Wilson came after Hall shot and killed Laudemar Arboleda, 33, in 2018 during a daytime slow-speed police chase in Danville.

In a video of that shooting, Hall can be seen opening fire without yelling any commands. Hall later testified at an inquest that he was afraid Arboleda would run him over, the East Bay Times reported. An internal probe by the sheriff’s office cleared Hall, but prosecutors with the Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office are still investigating.

8 Likes
16 Likes
13 Likes

Relevant when you consider that whatever else your opinions of the man are, he was still a Black man in the US (in)justice system, which disproportionately puts Black men in solitary. A punishment he literally describes here as being worse than death.

17 Likes

This goes to representation in popular culture, it was 2020 before there was a Black WWE world champ…

Wrap your head around that… And of course, the world of pro wrestling has a long history of racism and having gimmicks based on ethnic and racial stereotypes. They covered that a bit in the GLOW tv show, with the women of color often being heels and having some pretty racist gimmicks (Cherry as Junkchain, Tamme as the Welfare Queen, Jenny as Fortune Cookie, etc, etc).

12 Likes
12 Likes

10 Likes

I couldn’t bring myself to watch the video but it’s clear from the description that these cops were hot to murder this dude.

From the Virginian-Pilot’s reporting:

The officers shouted conflicting orders at Nazario, telling him to put his hands out the window while also telling him to open the door and get out, the lawsuit says. At one point, Gutierrez told Nazario he was “fixin’ to ride the lightning,” a reference to the electric chair, according to the claim.

Nazario repeatedly asked what was going on but got no response. Frightened and unsure what to do, he told the officers he was scared to get out.

Gutierrez then responded, “Yeah, you should be,” the complaint said.

[edit: typo]

12 Likes

Yeah. I watched it. I feel relatively confident in saying the only reason he is still alive is because he waited to pull over until he reached a well-lit, public area.
Fuuuuuck.

11 Likes

“What’s going on?” Lieutenant Nazario then asks.
“What’s going on is you’re fixing to ride the lightning, son,” Officer Gutierrez yells. (Later, after striking Lieutenant Nazario behind his knees, the officer told him to “lay down or I’m going to tase you,” as the officers appeared to struggle to get Lieutenant Nazario on the ground.)

aidy bryant what a small man you are GIF by Saturday Night Live

15 Likes