Black Lives Matter. Still

Starting…now! No, wait…now!
No, wait…

At least that’s how I feel when my neighbors (US) say that, and that they just think everyone should be treated the same (usually in the context of affirmative action or some such.)

12 Likes

This is a very cool idea. I could see so many applications for this!

Mother creates Just Us mobile app to help protect Black drivers - ABC News (go.com)

13 Likes
16 Likes

Jeebus F. Christ. I’m simultaneously mad and unsurprised.

12 Likes
16 Likes

Killer cops deserve publicity and punishment, and so do mass-murdering tobacco companies.

It isn’t just that 45,000 Black Americans die of tobacco-related diseases every year; it isn’t just that tobacco use is the main risk factor for the leading causes of death—heart disease, cancer, stroke—among Black Americans; it isn’t just that lung cancer, caused mainly by smoking, is the form of cancer that kills most Black Americans; it isn’t just that Black smokers suffer higher rates of death from causes related to smoking. It’s worse than that.

What’s worse is that much of this toll of death and disease is not an incidental result of the fact that about 15% of African Americans are smokers (most of whom want to quit). It’s a result of the tobacco industry’s sixty-year history of targeted marketing of menthol cigarettes to the Black community. This is institutional racism operating in the plain light of day.

14 Likes

This is one of those history pieces that isn’t about Black people at all…until you read between the lines:

15 Likes

Wow. Should I make a bet on how much will be glossed over in the book, video game, and movie to put the emphasis on an “interesting” and “cool” pirate story, as opposed to the horrifying and nauseating details? :thinking:

13 Likes

I don’t know about the book (I’ve read other stuff of Johnson’s but not that one) but the game and movie, probably.

Looking at the reviews, it looks like Johnson is doing his usual thing of connecting a bunch of seemingly disparate things surrounding an event. In other words, Every didn’t happen in a vacuum. World politics and commerce (especially British expansion into India and the East India Company) all play a role in both the creation of Every and in the aftermath.

Enemy of All Mankind is unsparing in descriptions of the cruelty of the actions of Every’s pirates. They were proto-terrorists, non-state actors able to spread fear far beyond their relative size and strength.

I had not thought about the role of piracy in the origins of modern capitalism. Now I see the connection.

Both quotes from:

11 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Seems like a lot of people can’t get past Cornel West’s style* to hear what he’s saying. I love what he says. Don Lemon listens, and West got him crying this time. Me too.

*I actually love his style, but I don’t think it’s what matters.

13 Likes

Seems like a follow up to reports like this:

14 Likes

Just exhausting.

13 Likes
12 Likes

Video shows California officer shoot homeless Black man - ABC News (go.com)

The video shows Wilson, 32, and Hall standing feet apart and facing each other in a public parking lot used by carpoolers where Wilson had been staying.

Hall appears to move toward Wilson, as Wilson appears to step backward. Hall points his gun at Wilson, who is facing him and then Hall shoots once, the video shows. Wilson collapses on his back and Hall stands over him.

As usual, officer “in fear for his life.” Fuck.

15 Likes

Looking forward to the defense’s argument that according to general relativity, there’s no way of differentiating whether Wilson was moving toward Hall or Hall was moving toward Wilson, and thus Hall was right to fear that Wilson was, in fact, “coming right at him”.

10 Likes

“Everybody needs to acknowledge that the story of the United States started with a genocide,” Peck says. “Until you can do that, nothing makes sense.” He believes this is the first time such concepts have been delineated in a film. “I don’t know any other film that voices it so clearly and so solidly. It’s like a no-no in the US – you don’t play with their origin story. There clearly have been big differences between immigrants, refugees and natives. They decided to call it a country of immigrants, but it’s not.”

12 Likes
16 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing this… It looks amazing from the trailer.

8 Likes