Black Lives Matter. Still

Thanks for sharing this. It makes great points about the book and the court case, but the title of the documentary about Mr. Broadwater really made me cringe. I get that it’s marketing and a way to link to the memoir. However, luck had far less to do with what happened to him than a system that commits injustice by design.

14 Likes

I agree.

7 Likes

same in portland oregon. back in the 70s i think? their city seized a core strip of black businesses to expand a hospital, and then never expanded that hospital. so it’s parking lots ( and maybe a park? ) today

that was after building a couple of highways right there too

12 Likes

When they built I-20 in GA, it went right the fuck through the Black community downtown (Auburn ave, old 4th Ward, etc).

11 Likes

it’s funny how a certain set of people are always all “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” while literally digging the ground out beneath people’s feet

15 Likes

There are more examples upthread. Hopefully, the Biden administration’s plans will deliver on the promise to help communities that suffered losses because of past policies:

16 Likes

They know what they’re doing.

12 Likes
12 Likes

Exact same for I-10 through New Orleans; they chose a route that ruined Black-owned businesses in the Treme while helping white-owned businesses nearer the river. Its finally getting some national discussion after 50 years, but the harm can’t be undone.

14 Likes

I think SC is literally doing it outside Charleston as we speak…

yep:

13 Likes

Washington police investigate ‘deeply disturbing’ school board meeting incident as hate crime

15 Likes

Additional material…

16 Likes

Oh Hell No Reaction GIF
Have they never heard of digital Blackface? :astonished:

14 Likes

Frustrated Star Trek GIF

That reminds me of this…

12 Likes
19 Likes

One more on this story…

14 Likes

People moving back to rural areas - working to undo power imbalances in Black communities by bringing businesses and services to marginalized people:

Results of social and political action after Michael Brown was killed in 2014:

18 Likes
17 Likes
14 Likes

Monkey Reaction GIF by Justin

12 Likes