15 Likes

TRUTH TO POWER

12 Likes
11 Likes

Putting this here, due to the unevenness in carceral rates:

12 Likes
12 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Palm Sunday

As always: the core of racism is not about the psychology and behaviour of random individuals. It’s about power and money and the fundamental structures of society.

11 Likes

Thread:

Ignore the white people replying with victim-blaming bullshit.

15 Likes
12 Likes

“ Recall that the marker was installed in 1950; like so many of these monuments, the intention “was not to honor the … dead but to assert and celebrate white supremacy in the present.”

10 Likes
10 Likes
13 Likes

Before Aretha Franklin passed, the service in Imitation of Life (1959) was my go-to example of a homegoing for those who’d never attended one:

11 Likes

That’s still one of my mom’s favorites to this day; as a biracial family, the secondary narrative of Sarah Jane and her life-long, racially motivated self hatred was fascinating.

12 Likes

Yeah, I put Mahalia Jackson singing “Trouble of the World” on the playlist at my mom’s funeral repast. She loved it, too. Her father had Cherokee roots and could’ve passed but never did. Folks see pictures of my grandparents and think my mom was biracial, but nope.

10 Likes
13 Likes
15 Likes

Also…

12 Likes

Yep.

“Fuck all those poor Black and Brown people who may get sick and die by being forced back to work too early while its not safe; I want a haircut and free refills on ice-tea!

13 Likes

This line:

Even in Vermont, the whitest state in the union, the percentage of black people infected with COVID-19 is 10 times the black population percentage.

11 Likes