Black Lives Matter. Still

Pittsburgh on one end, Philly on the other, Alabama in between. As it was, so it shall be. My family is from PGH, and seeing all the Trump signs (still) up between here and there is disheartening to say the least.

16 Likes

New York City jail guard arrested after being accused of watching inmate hang himself in cell - ABC News (go.com)

According to the indictment, Hillman stopped officers from saving Wilson as he hung himself with his bedsheet inside his cell.

The cell was opened a minute later but Hillman allegedly ordered the officer to remain outside, saying Wilson was faking it because he was still breathing, prosecutors said.

She called for non-emergency backup and ordered the door closed while Wilson remained hanging inside, but by the time medical personal arrived, Wilson was dead, the indictment said.

So I guess the fact that she is at least being prosecuted is a good thing, but holy shit, REALLY??

18 Likes

Anecdotally, my step-grandad used to sound like this when he talked. I think it has something to do with an excess concentration of cream gravy in his bloodstream.

8 Likes

I hope this plan by Dallas ISD is implemented and shows immediate results. Also the emphasis on how kids are going to need mental health support available at school after covid is good. That was a major factor for my vote fill a school board position where I live this week. One candidate talked about the needs of the students as highest priority, including planning for mental health support structures to be in place by the fall and racial equity for our Black and POC students. The other candidate talked only about the budget.

11 Likes

Just a reminder that nothing has actually changed yet

Man Dies After Police Pin Him To Ground : NPR

16 Likes

Some positive news.

14 Likes
13 Likes

The DOJ is finally stepping up and doing the job it is supposed to do.

13 Likes

It’s been a long time coming, but eventually, CHANGE GON’ COME.

17 Likes

Marvin Scott’s death in Texas jail ruled a homicide by medical examiner - ABC News (go.com)

I guess the fact that the thugs who do this shit are facing some consequences is a step forward, but it is not enough of a step. And none of it brings these people back to their families. It needs to stop. Period.

17 Likes
16 Likes

Ben Passmore’s stuff is always good.

6 Likes
16 Likes

Especially relevant in terms of race and voting when you realize just where most prisons get built.

23 Likes

This is very much where mass incarceration came from.

Section 2 of the 14th Amendment says that the “right to vote at any election … [can’t be] denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, …”

Of course the wording (and hopefully intent) was describing the sort of crimes we saw on Jan. 6th. In practice though, the phrase “or other crime” has lead to 150 years of criminalizing Black people with the express intent of generating an excuse for disenfranchisement

15 Likes

Yep. Fingers crossed that Biden is sincere in his apparent intention to make some headway against all that shit.

14 Likes
18 Likes
14 Likes

Un-fucking-real.

13 Likes

I remember this story. Serves him right.

11 Likes