Black Lives Matter. Still

I’m not sure that’s the case at all in the track & field community. If Usain Bolt was looking at an Olympic ban when he was in his prime, there would have been huge pushback from T&F athletes. Maybe not Justin Gatling, but from almost everybody else.

6 Likes
12 Likes

Gawd, I read that story in the paper. The chief was there for thirty years, the Black officer had been there less than one, and was/is the only Black employee there. But the chief said it was just a prank so I guess the power imbalance and horror of it don’t matter. :woman_facepalming:t2:
Glad he resigned. All his cases should be reviewed.

12 Likes

Major embarrassment for UNC-CH, not they didn’t deserve it, though I wonder if the Board of Trustees and the Board of Governors (particularly the latter) have the capacity to feel embarrassed. The real losers, of course, are the students and, in the long term, the School of Journalism, with lost opportunity and lost prestige.

13 Likes

Compensated by the opportunities now available to the Howard students. There are consequences to assholery, consequences rich white folks have never had to deal with, and we are horrified with much clutching of pearls at the prospect of such!! Consequences are for the lower classes, don’t you know! (/s)

13 Likes
8 Likes

It’s quite the coup for Howard, and they deserve a lot of credit for doing what they did.

Hannah-Jones is quoted in a different article about a dean of one school (obviously not UNC but not otherwise identified) saying, “We’ll offer you tenure and respect.”

What a novel concept.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Nikole Hannah-Jones released a statement a little while ago, and it’s excellent. The UNC administration is stupid and incredibly short-sighted for having turned up its nose to the opportunity offered by having her as faculty. Congratulations to Howard University for their hire - providing new leadership for their students and further raising the profile of their institution. Outstanding work.

11 Likes

…and the outcome:

12 Likes

The “Moorish Sovereign” groups are an odd movement.

9 Likes

Really good thread about the vast chasm of difference between ‘fellow’ journalists Nikole Hannah-Jones and mega-donor Walter Hussman who put his foot down about her tenure:

15 Likes
7 Likes

Thanks, that was really…informative. :grimacing:

8 Likes

Yeah. It’s pretty out there stuff. JJ MacNab is a good follow though for extremest related activity. I always check her twitter feed after something militia related happens, and I usually learn something.

2 Likes

GIF by nargisfakhri

17 Likes
6 Likes

We have discussed race based biases in medicine in several threads recently. This is a succinct summary of a whole heapin’ lot of racial BS that we have taken as gospel. Or, as some RWNJ’s would put it, “received wisdom which must not be questioned.”

And the eGFR has had an impact on the treatment of Black kidney patients. In a recent article for Slate, emergency medicine physician Jennifer Tsai described the case of Jordan Crowley, a biracial patient with one Black grandparent and three white ones, who would be in line for a kidney if his doctors identified him as white in the eGFR equation. Because his doctor identifies him as Black, Crowley is waiting for his kidney function to decline even more so that he can be placed on the transplant list.

Among others. We can be better than this.

17 Likes

Adding my own :grimacing:

Not specifically aimed at you, but is maybe a US extremism thread something some of this should be branched off into? I’m wondering what everyone here thinks, TBH.

3 Likes

A reminder that black people are no more immune to absolute whackadoodle ideas than white people.

4 Likes