Black Lives Matter. Still

Cowardly academic fuckery also happened recently to Cornel West. He just posted his resignation letter to Harvard on FBook:

16 Likes
12 Likes

Somehow, I am not surprised the school is named after Kit Carson, genocidal maniac and scalp collector.

k-pop facepalm GIF

8 Likes

Language being changed to be more inclusiveā€¦ should have happened sooner, but still, itā€™s good to see changes like this that reflect current realities and sensibilitiesā€¦

13 Likes

A good move, and remarkable to me that it was changed at all (ā€œAh now sure how could anyone be bothered by a cupla focail at all at all?ā€)

I expect daoine gorma persisted as long as it did because your average Irish person would rarely be exposed to any personā€™s of color, pretty much until the mass influx of Nigerian immigrants in the early 2000ā€™s.

I always thought the daoine gorma term was fairly tame (albeit weird), but then again itā€™s not about what I think since Iā€™m not the one being offended.

Pronunciation guide: duine de dhath = thin-uh je thah, there ā€œthā€ is pronounced as in ā€œthoseā€ and ā€œjeā€ is pronounced as in ā€œjetā€ (this is why Iā€™m not a linguist).

5 Likes

On Nigerian-Irish folks and the Irish languageā€¦

If Iā€™m remembering right (Iā€™m in the 130s now episode wise), I think they do discuss the language for people of color in that episode.

8 Likes

Putting this here, too (itā€™s also in Magical History Tour thread):

9 Likes

The fact that many more Black people speak Irish than in previous decades is the reason. Gorm was always weird, albeit understandable a long time ago when people were more superstitious/religious and didnā€™t want to say something really offensive to their ears. That it isnā€™t offensive to Black Irish speakers is the crux of the issue. And Irish speaking schools are, as far as I know, more multicultural than average

I have heard that there are some grammar purists that have issues, though I havenā€™t encountered one in the wild. Mind you there is a popular term for ā€œgrammar puristsā€ isnā€™t there?

9 Likes

Whatā€™s next, folks using CRT in an attempt to blame others for their crimes? :roll_eyes: This is another result of demonizing people and the movements created to support them - they get used as convenient targets or scapegoats.

11 Likes

And all he got was 10 years for conspiring to murder 3 people and blame it on activists.

14 Likes

Iā€™m still wondering about the death of the first person he attempted to hire for the job, too.

14 Likes
13 Likes

Iā€™m cursing right now!

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

14 Likes

Villa Rica? Why am I unsurprised by that.

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

11 Likes

Example #527 of why Stand Your Ground laws are racist AF.

13 Likes

Iā€™m waiting to see what penalties are associated with the charges in this case.

12 Likes

Butā€¦freeze peachā€¦? :pleading_face:

I hope that guy gets some actual jail time. It would be nice if he also had to do some meaningful volunteer work that would change his mindset, but I have a hard time thinking of what that would even be, since heā€™s clearly not safe to have around kidsā€¦

11 Likes

I guess he could help reduce the size of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Iā€™m sure a few years spent in the company of sailors should work wonders with his vocabulary! :thinking:

12 Likes

Something tells me that cursing is not the real problem for a white guy wearing a sleeveless t-shirt and a backwards baseball cap.

12 Likes

You mean when they charge the kid with ā€œfailure to respect a white man,ā€ right? I will be shocked if this results in anything more than a finger wag to the asshole ā€œadultā€ male who has shown himself to be a danger to his community.

11 Likes