Black Lives Matter. Still

13 Likes

There is such a pervasive level of racism in the South Wales valleys that it feels like itā€™ll never go away while the areas remain overwhelmingly white, most of these people will never have seen a non-white face on the street and they certainly would not have grown up and gone to school with any. Anecdotal evidence says that if a black family shows up in the neighbourhood it will get commented on and so it proves with this poor family, combined with the worrying rise in knife crime and drug use and a fucking inept police force.

8 Likes
12 Likes
10 Likes
4 Likes

Another thing that that was brokered in the Clinton administration was the United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, who is State Dept, and a non-voting member of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom.

President Obama upset their cart by appointing:

And then:

Which is a little weird, because when I was looking into Scientology lobbying efforts, I got the impression that people were complaining that Obama had left the office vacant for quite a while. Hm.

Trump, being Trump, reached new lows by appointing:

8 Likes

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fail_upwards

9 Likes

this could go maybe under a couple different topics i guess as well as here:

The new policy requires most companies listed on Nasdaq to have at least one woman on their board of directors, along with one person from a racial minority or who identifies as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or queer. It also requires companies to publicly disclose statistics on the demographic composition of their boards.

of course, thereā€™s no punishment if they fail to diversify. they simply have to give an excuse why they didnā€™t. still, it seems it will at least force boards to think about it one way or the other.

one promising tid bit

More recently, there has been a surge of appointments of Black board directors. Between July 2020 and May 2021, some 32% of newly appointed board members in the S&P 500 were Black, up from 11% the previous year

8 Likes

The cops didnā€™t even check to make sure the car matched that from the previous incident before drawing their weapons and handcuffing the guys!?!

12 Likes
16 Likes

Just saw that earlier.

My home state; totally unsurprising, though it can and does happen anywhere.

So disheartening.

14 Likes

Based on this, Tesla sounds like one of the worst place to workā€¦

14 Likes

But thatā€™s okay, cause he put a car into space! /s

Why is ANY of this kind of shit acceptable? Ever? By ANY company?

12 Likes
8 Likes

I remember bursting into tears a few years ago when I saw a woman in an advert for the first time who had thighs like mine. But with all the other things I have, I imagine that was like, a tenth of what Dominique must be feeling there.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This was a profoundly depressing read.

14 Likes

Canā€™t do that one, not today.

13 Likes

I canā€™t blame you.

9 Likes
8 Likes