Black Lives Matter. Still

Racism aside, WTH is a man that old doing working at Pizza Hut? People need to be allowed to retire without being in such financial straits.

10 Likes

America! Greatest country on Earth!!!

[Anyone else about to puke from hearing that lie a thousand times too many?]

13 Likes

my understanding is that for the past decade or so, itā€™s mostly middle age and older folks working fast food.

weā€™re very much a service workforce at this point ( service, tech, and finance maybe ) - thereā€™s just not a lot of traditional middle class jobs anymore

resulting in things like millennials having a harder time getting first jobs. and older people never having enough to retire. ( doubly so on both fronts for people of color )

14 Likes

Fifteen officers are currently on administrative leave, according a Torrance police spokesman. The officers identified by The Times were involved in at least seven serious or fatal uses of force against Black or Latino men since 2013.

just a few bad apples /s

11 Likes

Gobs of positions available in medicine! (Also, technically, sort of a service industry) You just need some training (LPN usually 9 months, RN 2 years, BSN 4 years, MD 11-16 years) and willingness to put up with abuse, overwork, crappy pay for required level of training and being targeted for execution by brain dead cultists. Oh, yeah, thatā€™s why there are gobs of positions available. Sigh

(Sorry, off topic. Rant done)

15 Likes

All the Walmart greeter positions were filled?

Sometime in the early 1980s, corporate America and its servants in the GOP decided that the prospect of a modestly comfortable retirement was what economists call a ā€œmoral hazardā€ (and what Xtianists call ā€œan affront to the Protestant work ethicā€).

14 Likes
11 Likes

thinking hm GIF

9 Likes

Not sure if that was the article I read on the subject, but in the one I read, one of the students said it was the FOURTH course sheā€™d been in with this professor. He still didnā€™t know who she was after at least a minorā€™s worth of courses, if not most of a major.

10 Likes

Sure, but how many students does this prof have per semester? How large are the classes? And does he also fuck up the names of white students? Seems like Fordham is mid-sized (about 16000 students altogether, undergrad and grad), so depending on popularity of his upper divison courses, he could have large sections.

Iā€™ll admit, Iā€™m shit at remember names. I try, but Iā€™m still shit at it. Guy could be an asshole with racist tendencies, of courseā€¦ thatā€™s not uncommon among professors who feel that educating is the least important part of their job. But he could also just be bad at remembering namesā€¦

FWIW, here is the profs ā€œRate my professorā€ pageā€¦

:woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s a good point. Although, I have to say (as someone with moderate face blindness), if youā€™re in a position that requires you to recognize people and you know you have a problem with it, you come up with face-saving ways to compensate.

10 Likes

31 reviews, so I hate to make a judgment call on that.

I would be curious to know if the positive ratings all come from, say, white students. Weā€™ve certainly seen that: a teacher whoā€™s phenomenal if youā€™re the right race/gender/religion, but otherwise to be avoided.

ETA (as Iā€™ve now posted twice in a row already)ā€¦

Iā€™ve only now read the Root article, and they say the students were both first-years, and that the one student had had 4 CLASSES, not courses, with the teacher. The other article I read (I should go find it) said courses, which is an entirely different scenario. I trust the Rootā€™s research to be solid, so this could literally be a case of the other journalist not understanding the difference between ā€˜courseā€™ and ā€˜classā€™. It definitely makes a difference in understanding what the heck happened.

11 Likes

Agreed.

There could also be other things happening that weā€™re not privy too from this article. He might have had other complaints against him, from other students or from his colleagues.

Me too, but itā€™s hard to know. But the school does seem like itā€™s white majorityā€¦

Yes.

ETA: Here is the article they quote:

It seems more clear that they mean over 4 individual classes, not that she had been in 4 courses with him.

I think his email probably had more to do with his firing than him mixing up the namesā€¦ He kind of did the whole ā€œlook what Iā€™ve done for Black people, arenā€™t I a good allyā€ bullshit instead of, you knowā€¦ just apologizingā€¦

but I also think this points to other issues that more often face women and especially women of color in academia - that of job instability. He had recently gone from an adjunct to lecturer, and he lost his union protections as a result.

10 Likes

Totally! Why is it so hard for some people to say ā€œIā€™m sorryā€?

ETA: sorry, I was on a call and used the wrong paragraph to respond! Multitasking isnā€™t as easy as the kids say it is!!

I meant to respond to:

But your point about how the instability of academic work ā€“ which usually affects women and people of color most ā€“ is still a component in this situation is so true; itā€™s definitely a crucial piece of the puzzle.

10 Likes

They donā€™t want to believe that they might harbor racist sentiments even though they understand they are a byproduct of a racist society?

10 Likes
14 Likes

Almost too sad to post, but stories like this are important.

9 Likes

Reinstated for reasonsā€¦the explanation given by the arbitrator in this case is some next-level bs: :angry:

18 Likes

I think this man should add more zeros for the damages describedā€¦

16 Likes

Once upon a time, ā€œan eye for an eyeā€ was meant as a moderating concept of justice, rather than, for example, executing someone for stealing a loaf of bread.

At this point in U.S. law enforcement history, it would be the exact opposite ā€“ OMG youā€™re going to treat me as violently as I treat others? Oh, the horror!!1!1!! ā€“ but still it would be a good start toward restorative justice.

13 Likes