17 Likes

Funny how that works, huh?

smh GIF

18 Likes
18 Likes
13 Likes

:heart:

18 Likes

Oh that we could learn that history isn’t just dead history.

20 Likes

Is that from a history site or something? I’d love to see more of those vignettes.

16 Likes

I joined the “Working Class History” group on FBook, so I think it’s from there. I’ve joined a lot of similar ones too though, so it might be from one of those. I’ll see if I can find it again.

16 Likes

U.S. Congresswoman Cori Bush telling us plainly. Still hoping somehow the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act will get passed ASAP (refile, refile; all one; ok, ok).

https://bush.house.gov/media/press-releases/cori-bush-calls-out-white-supremacy-lays-out-vision-future-black-voters

17 Likes

They have yet to get to the point of being able to stop folks from voting, only making it increasingly difficult for certain demographics. My hope, to which I will cling desperately, is that they will only succeed in pissing off the very people they are going after, and resulting in a flood of voter turnout to rival the Obama surge. If not, we are in very deep waters of a feculant nature with no means of propulsion.

15 Likes

Organize, organize.
Hoping right there with ya, doc.

If there is any opportunity and consensus about it being ok to do so at your practice, please consider putting a stack of Virginia Voter Registration Applications on the counter by the checkout window. “It’s just a thought” (Beau).

Who knows? Maybe people in line will talk to each other, bring their friends and family to vote with them, learn more about neighbors and community?

That will avert the digital divide (but maybe not the U.S. first-class postage stamp and envelope -divide; sorry!).

The faster way is online, but many are the bridges, each to their own:

12 Likes

Today’s court report…

Stop Motion Blm GIF by Mighty Oak

16 Likes

No surprise which way that SCOTUS case will go.

“It’s time this rampant discrimination against white people be put to a stop!”

:tired_face:

16 Likes

This makes my skin crawl.

8 Likes

The odd thing is, as the planet heats up, and our atmosphere gets more unpredictable thanks to specific pollutants and people spend time outdoors for mental health if nothing else, melanin can be very helpful in protecting human health. IANAD. :woman_shrugging:t5:

Colorism affects job opportunity and income (not news, I know). What I did not know was how it affects prospective life partners. When I was in college, I had a bright and kind roommate from Kerala, India and she had several potential suitors her parents lined up for her. Each said that she was too dark for them to marry. If only I coulda knocked some sense into those guys. I told her that they did not deserve her, if they were going to be like that.

Culture is a helluva drug.

On the Chinese side of my family, the older generations of women have long guarded against getting tan, especially on their face. Sun hats. Umbrellas outside in all weather. There are things I could say here about class, and colorism, and more, but nothing could change my Chinese aunties opinions about maintaining a very light skin tone. Some have used pearl powder in their makeup. :grimacing:

I am brown. I work outside for one of my jobs. I suspect that at least some of the year, my Vitamin D stores are much higher than theirs. Family pictures show me as the darkest member in our group. I gave up what they think of my appearance years ago.

15 Likes

In many cultures, this is the indication of a class division. Laborers vs. “skill-based” jobs requiring more education or working the land vs. owning it are basic examples of a complex issue. If your job enables you to be indoors, that sometimes leads to lighter skin. The skin is also affected by performing manual labor with your hands. The idea of white supremacy and lighter skin being better mixed with views about caste or class have formed very toxic racist beliefs that are pervasive and difficult to dispel.

17 Likes

Weirdly, the opposite is also true: people with lighter skin usually work indoors (perhaps in a factory or low-level office job) whereas those with darker skin from tanning are indicating they have the free time and money to travel to sunny climates and relax.

11 Likes