Black Lives Matter. Still

Debated whether to put this here or in the history thread:

14 Likes

Heard the interview with her this week. I’m looking forward to reading this and think she’s totes correct.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

12 Likes
16 Likes

Had to share

14 Likes

Good. Even Alabama is more purple than people realize. My FIL lives in the second “redest” county in the state, but it’s been getting a pale-er shade of red with each Federal election since about 2008.

15 Likes

People thought the same shit about GA, too, that it’s just a bunch of white, backward hicks who’d never embrace progressive politics. The south is much more diverse than people give it credit for and would be much bluer if it were not for gerrymandering, voter suppression, and the like…

17 Likes

Heard an interview with the podcaster who did this tonight…

BTW… I love Rose Scott!

18 Likes
16 Likes
16 Likes

It looks like Louisiana’s governor is involved in covering up details of a Black motorist’s death at the hands of the police.

15 Likes

The people who say shit like that are Beltway insiders, or mostly white mostly suburbanites who get their news suburbanites exclusively from Beltway insiders. Even if someone is a “backward hick” they probably agree with progressive politics, to a degree. Everyone loves higher wages and better access to medical care.

This is very true. All this Red State / Blue State nonsense is only making things worse. Entire states don’t vote entirely in the same direction, electoral college notwithstanding. Hopefully sometime soon Texas will vote for a Democratic presidential candidate and this entire thing will be put to rest. And if there were no electoral college the Republicans would stand no real chance of winning a presidential election.

14 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

12 Likes

frustrated college GIF

Fuck! John Bel is the only democrat in state office in Louisiana and on most issues has been a clear improvement. His family are all law (dad was a sherriff and his brothers are a sherriff and a police chief) and his pro-cop cred was a reason he won. This should cost him his job because it’s fucking inexcusable, infuriating bullshit, but it won’t and if it did he’d be replaced by someone worse on every issue other than helping cops murder Black people (and probably the same on that).
fuck

14 Likes

Can we at least keep him around until John Kennedy is removed under the 14th Amendment for aiding the insurrection and replaced?

16 Likes

I’m afraid ejecting insurrectionists working in the capitol would be a much better time-line than we’ve found ourselves in. If you come up with a way to make it happen, though, just point the way and I’ll get to work*

*yesterday I scheduled a final interview for a job in New Orleans, so hopefully I’ll be getting to work on removing Kennedy soon anyway

14 Likes

WTH? Another case for the state police and/or the feds…

16 Likes

Similar to Manchin being the only Democrat elected state-wide in WV. There should be a category for these “Democrats”. I doubt it will cost him his job, this is how it has “always been done.” In most places, not just the south. You need a Democratic legislature to push laws to hold cops responsible, Democratic DA’s to enforce them. And to hold down the nausea that come from realizing that basic justice is a partisan issue.

16 Likes

Even Dem DAs, Mayors, and legislatures are often weak sauce at best when it comes to this. We saw it with the BLM protests in Portland. Even when the PPB was chasing down reporters and legal observers and beating them with batons; even when they were literally firing less-lethal rounds at a naked woman sitting in the middle of the street; the mayor didn’t really do anything. When other city councilors tried, he asserted his responsibility for the police department and prevented it. He supposedly banned them from using gas or less-lethal rounds, but they just ignored him.

It took other councilors to block him from spending more on the PPB and re-hiring the assholes who used excessive force every night for months against largely peaceful protesters.

18 Likes

I do hope they are working up to that. It seems like it. The critical link will be once the Jan 6th committee in the House appoints a special prosecutor who can serve subpoenas that have teeth. As in, show up or go to jail, now kinda subpoenas. Establish the Trumpsurrectionists were attempting to overthrow the rightful government, that it was planned by 45, his admin, and GOP congresscritters, and aided by such. Then the DOJ rolls them all up in a neat bow. Pinch them such that they plead guilty to avoid prison, but get removed from Congress and are barred from ever holding fed or state office again. Voila. And get that all done before November 2022.

Yeah, I need another drink.

15 Likes

Again!!! WTF?

17 Likes