Black Lives Matter. Still

Need more teachers like him! I love that he points out how when he hears from students who come back years later, what they hold dearest isn’t necessarily what he taught them, but how he made them feel. :heart:
Not to get too off topic, but the “empty chair” would also be a powerful visual for gun control efforts, having empty chairs in the classroom where those slain kids would’ve sat. For school shootings, but also for all the kids in this country who fall victim to gun violence. :cry:

11 Likes
7 Likes
14 Likes
12 Likes

The police department calls the stops “consensual encounters” and says they are “random,”

consensual encounters

Seth Meyers What GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

also, this…

Those 402 stops resulted in three reported drug seizures

shocked philip j fry GIF

It’s just a way for Clayton Co. police to harass POC.

15 Likes

It’s also a way to profit:

Those 402 stops also yielded more than $1 million in cash and money orders from a total of 25 passengers.

If only there was something else cops could do to be useful… people shouldn’t have to resort to using social media for cases like this:

14 Likes

Exactly… they go hand in hand all too often…

Both GIF by Dolittle

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

8 Likes
11 Likes

More on the LA City Council story…

…as well as the usual LEO excesses:

14 Likes

It’s an imperfect mapping onto trans experience. There’s no denying you transitioned to everyone, all at once with no deniability to even strangers. And no inviting in discreetly either.

13 Likes
9 Likes
11 Likes

Damn. I was certain this was a rehashing of the earlier stop, also referenced in the article. Honest to God, how, as a Black person, do you walk out the door without your blood pressure spiking? Mine does just thinking about what you guys are subjected to!

15 Likes

Be prepared, be alert / vigilant, and do lots of this :wink::

Breathe Franchesca Ramsey GIF by chescaleigh

19 Likes

Word.

Though in my mind, I’m more like this:

20 Likes

I’m not sure there is a better gif for you anywhere on the internet!

13 Likes

:rofl:

Right?

13 Likes

Melizmatic, The Zen of the Middle Finger: Maintaining Personal Calm in the Eye of an Endless Cyclone of Bullshit (Imaginary Press, publication date TBC.)

9 Likes

It’s also disturbing that stats on these SROs are terrible - no one knows how many are in US schools:

15 Likes

All because of a hoodie. Why adults think hoodies are disrespectful is beyond me? But yes, let’s slam children on the ground because of a dress code infraction. (Or for anything rlse.) :roll_eyes:

13 Likes