Black Lives Matter. Still

Quotas for police make no sense. Pay-for-performance should be based on change in community harm metrics, including harm done by police.

18 Likes

Consequences

13 Likes

This is delicious:

19 Likes

The music industry generally sucks, but this in 1997?

11 Likes

The music industry is STILL hugely racist and sexist, even today

17 Likes
15 Likes

Just added their show to my podcast subscriptions. Thanks!

6 Likes
16 Likes

Are you fucking kidding me!?!

Screaming Harley Quinn GIF by The Suicide Squad

Fucking judgmental piece of shit NP. License to practice should be yanked.

13 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

12 Likes

I just cannot comprehend. Being pregnant is “fraud?” Having back pain during pregnancy is “fraud?” I am a guy and I know better than that! No one with this kind of thought process would work at my office longer than it took to demonstrate it.

14 Likes

I hope this woman lost her relationship with that institution. Just bloody awful.

14 Likes

IMO, this is what happens when conservative pols and talking heads spend decades using racist dog whistles while convincing viewers and listeners that their supremacist misinformation is true. They push the narrative that fraud is rampant in healthcare. They repeat that members of specific ethnic groups are lazy, prolific, responsible for most of the crime, and are generally dishonest/irresponsible. Their followers believe what they’ve been repeatedly told, so members of those groups are automatically sus in their minds.

Add those views to the existing racial bias in medicine (as described in the article below), and it leads to encounters like this. They leave me angry, yet unsurprised. It’s another scenario in which tech makes it possible for more people to see what Black people encounter far too often. Having to counter suspicion, disbelief, and dismissive attitudes in situations where we need assistance, caring, competence, and compassion is why some members of the Black community avoid doctors just like they avoid cops. A bad encounter could end in unnecessary harm, or death.

15 Likes

Medical and academic institutions are examining ways to tackle this crisis. Florida Atlantic University’s Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine has revised its curriculum to incorporate training on the impact of implicit bias in medicine: “Medical students start learning about racism in health care during their first year, and as they go, they also learn how to communicate with patients from various cultures and backgrounds.” At the state level, Michigan and California have made implicit bias training a requirement for healthcare provider licensure. The National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health has developed an action plan to assess their current policies and practices and determine the gaps that exist and the steps they can take to combat bias and discrimination in patient care.

I feel I need to point out that my introduction to implicit bias in medicine was a seminar in med school at WVU in 1988. The fact that this is still a struggle is incredibly depressing. At some point, it ceases to be that professionals are not being taught to not be racist, but that racists are being taught to be professionals. The anti-racism lessons need to start far, far earlier than this.

14 Likes

Misguided media moves:

ETA: more journalists are reporting on this story:

14 Likes

I think they’re looking to put more conservative guests in some shows and are looking to pivot to more conservative hosts. Hedging their bets on the election?

They certainly won’t care if the conservative voices are controversial.

10 Likes

Everyone loves the proscription show! Conservatives tune in to see the guests, liberal elites tune in to see the arguments, and everyone else tunes in to see whether it’s time for them to drop everything and flee the country. :unamused:

10 Likes

Nurse Practitioner There’s Smegma makes Nurse Ratched look like Mother Teresa.

5 Likes
12 Likes

Sad but well done

14 Likes