Black Lives Matter. Still

Here’s Cranston’s discussion with Bill Maher. In the face of the former’s reasonable poins, the latter comes off as an old fogey who’s grievance shopping, ironic considering how often he accuses others of doing so.

15 Likes

Bill Maher!?! NO!!! /s

shocked philip j fry GIF

17 Likes

I wish Cranston had pushed back more. Maher’s parroting of the idea that the negative ‘wokeism’ comes from the left rather than the right (doing 3 things at once, I typed ‘white’ before noticing and correcting) really needed to be corrected in the moment.

18 Likes

Same here. I’ve avoided anything with Maher in it for years, and this video was the greatest hits of everything about him that made me sick BITD. It started with that “most people would not say their life is great” bs (aka define ‘great’). Hearing this privileged :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: asking another privileged man, “Would you say your life is great?” :angry: Even worse was, “I like the word ‘advantage’ better [than white privilege].” The hypothetical racist hiring scenario comment, “…that probably could’ve happened, and that was wrong…again, I didn’t do it [emphasis mine].” :rage: I wish Cranston had pursued that further, especially after Maher said he doesn’t think he’s someone who should be questioned. Wow.

The anti-woke, ‘GOP is better for Black people’ nonsense he spouted just reflects how much he’s been soaking in right-wing media talking points. That’s where he got that parroted crap about easier college admission, and that businesses are trying to make up for the past. Meanwhile, every source focused on what’s “real” shows we are under attack - again, after decades of not really coming very close to achieving equality before the usual backlash began again. That’s the usage of the adverb most BIPOC tend to repeat, like when I watched this video thinking, “Here we go again.” :weary:

I cannot believe Maher thinks Millennials and GenZ are running things, so everything is good now, or the existence of a few more POC in leadership roles = “plenty.” Then he pretends that he needs to see the numbers, as though actual figures would make a difference in his mind. :roll_eyes: Either he’s really stuck his head in the sand when it comes to news coverage other than what he hears on his own show, or he’s an apologist for racism. I’m gonna go with the latter, and put him back on my “never watch, never listen” list.

Here’s a more positive story for Black History Month:

19 Likes
19 Likes
15 Likes

Me, too. I also recognized that conversation. The dynamics are different, since I’m a younger-than-them white woman, but trying to talk to my father (RIP) or other white men of a certain vintage about this stuff, Maher’s whole demeanor was so familiar. You could see he wasn’t listening to and responding to what Cranston was asking, he was responding to all the propaganda and baggage he’s been stewing in about what he ‘thinks’ Cranston was saying or asking.
It makes it SO hard to have any kind of conversation, let alone push back and have the other person not just shut right down. :woman_shrugging:t2:
It’s frustrating as hell, but I recognized some of the attempts we make to have conversations with these assholes.
By “frustrating,” I of course mean “infuriating.”

18 Likes
17 Likes
19 Likes

“I see your no-knock warrant and I raise you unjustified interstate extradition!”
:rage:

16 Likes
16 Likes
9 Likes

Who posted this story in another thread? Was it @KathyPartdeux?

14 Likes
12 Likes
15 Likes

The mentioned boss claimed he wouldn’t have to pay for unemployment after a walkout. Reality check in 3…2…1…

15 Likes

Big Brother Wtf GIF by Global TV

11 Likes

More fascist exports from the US. God, I hate this timeline.

16 Likes

To be fair; it’s French in origin.

But Steve Bannon bought into it and promoted the hell out of it - so we both own it now.

18 Likes

TIL. Still, assholes all the way down.

16 Likes