Black Lives Matter. Still

Michael Harriot responds to folks complaining about Juneteenth:

3 Likes

If it were anyone else, I’d say those are pretty big shoes to fill, to riff off the original like that. But it’s Michael Harriot.

7 Likes

Yet another bs reason for making life difficult for black people:

… and the beatdowns go on.

1 Like

(I love his poetry.)

https://www.rossgay.net/about

8 Likes

Because

Slavery Is Still Legal for Two Million People in the U.S. | Vera Institute

Can’t wait for the fascist response. You know they will oppose this, I just want to hear the mental gymnastics it will take to get to “slavery is not all bad, you know.”

7 Likes

In case people don’t know, Rep. Williams is in John Lewis’ old seat…

7 Likes

“Slavery is not all bad” was something I have seen openly argued by libertarians. They don’t like intergenerational slavery of course…but something like debt slavery? That’s entering a contract, ergo there can be nothing wrong with it. (And of course how the next generation can possibly be unaffected does not need consideration.)

2 Likes

Hey, Donald!

flipping the bird no GIF by theCHIVE

7 Likes

not the kind of story often told about the greatest generation

5 Likes

OMFG…

2 Likes

Wow, this came up last year, too (different states, same problem):

:eyes: JFC, I think it’s the same image. What is this guy, the poster child for “Stand Your Ground” and “I Was Afraid” training?

What GIF by ABC Network

5 Likes

I love this one so much…

13 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133/

Good, if long, article on what the real issue that brought the Religious Right into politics.

But the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny. In fact, it wasn’t until 1979—a full six years after Roe —that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but as a rallying-cry to deny President Jimmy Carter a second term. Why? Because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools. So much for the new abolitionism.

Racist in root and branch. Always were, still are and will be.

11 Likes

Leslie Jordan GIF by Cameo

5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes