Black Lives Matter. Still

I’m sure the name and badge number are on file with the school, right? We’re gonna need really big database to track and sort all those apples… :thinking:

14 Likes

You’d think. Thing is tho, they’re ALL Granny Smiths…

apples-01

7 Likes

Why are you insulting Granny Smiths like that?

11 Likes

Yeah well, the time or two that I ended up with a Granny Smith, I quietly waited until I had a chance to leave it somewhere for someone else.

8 Likes

#teamgala, #grannysmitsonlyinpies

6 Likes

I’d have happily traded with you.

Clearly, you have never had a proper caramel apple with nuts;

10 Likes

Oh but I have. That’s a whole nother apple game!

giphy

8 Likes

Easy there. I love Grannys! Of course I like tart fruit. One of my wife’s many areas of despair.

11 Likes
13 Likes

The most recent Radio Lab episode, part 4 of their examination of intelligence, goes over some of the history of involuntary sterilization of the “unfit” in this country. As a side note on that, I learned that the lawyer behind taking down theses laws and seeking reparations for the victims was a Liberty U grad, and expressed shock and anger that “his people” (conservative, Christian Republicans) not only did not rally to his (as he saw it) pro-life cause, but actively opposed him. I was not shocked at all.

15 Likes

This included the great activist Fannie Lou Hamer.

I think some people do believe in pro-life because they do believe in the sanctity of life. They’ve been duped by the leaders of the movement, because that’s not what it’s about. Here’s hoping that people like this guy final figure that out and start thinking about ways to really protect women’s health and well-being that doesn’t include shutting down health clinics accessible to working class women.

17 Likes
14 Likes
18 Likes

i read a bit about that on the root. according to his parents, the whole session was recorded without parents’ knowledge or permission, and in the recording he moved the toy once. from one side of the desk to the other. ( probably because it was in his way. )

they also point out that tamir rice was killed by police seconds after seeing him – so who in their right mind would send police to check on kid with a toy gun.

17 Likes
12 Likes
15 Likes

Like Ruby Bridges, my mom was also born in Mississippi and later moved to New Orleans. Ruby Bridges is younger than my parents, though, and the first integrated school either of them went to was college. Integration wasn’t long ago at all.

As an aside, the school in New Orleans ninth ward that Bridges integrated is almost fully segregated and has been my whole live, the difference being there are now no white students. When the public schools integrated, most white parents removed their kids and many moved to the burbs where schools were still all white.

15 Likes
8 Likes

In a similar vein…

[not just about Black people, but I doubt this would have happened without BLM]

7 Likes

the president was a teenager, and biden was old enough to vote.

9 Likes