Black man stabbed to death in NY. Police: White supremacist killer wanted to kill Black men. That's terror

Fine by me.

You’re… quite odd.And confusing. But not in a good way. So Imma stop speaking to you now, 'k?

5 Likes

And you are quite predictable. Take your agenda some where else.

Hey bud, I’m pretty sure you and @waetherman actually agree…had your information/snark ratio been higher in your initial reply (and some more careful reading before replying), we might have avoided this whole flagging mess…

15 Likes

Not me – someone else said that, but you are attributing the statement to me. I’ll assume it was a quoting error.

Neat little labels for all. Before “terrorism” was assigned to certain crimes, this would have just been referred to as a good ol’ hate crime.

@daneel I am confused as to what is going on here. Got a link to the original article, or was it revised? Did that last highlighted text have anything at all to do with anyone in the current crime?

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s both a hate crime and terrorism. The latter bit is a little bit higher bar than the former. I mean Dylan whatshisface did just commit a hate crime.

5 Likes

So, why do people need to call it terrorism, as opposed to racist murder? The killer isn’t on record here as trying to coerce anybody. What makes this a national security issue and more than other murders of people in hate-protected categories?

The problem I have with it is that terrorism makes people not criminally culpable for their actions. Crime is where the state acts against a person who wronged another person. If people want prosecution of hate crimes taken more seriously, then they should not be made into an extra-legal process. That feels to me more like a hope that re-naming or re-classifying a horrible act will somehow yield more justice. But in practical terms it weakens our case against such a person when we don’t even agree as to what to charge them with.

It is a better approach to force them to accept responsibility for their actions (murder), rather than tell people what to feel about it (terror).

“And he wanted to make a statement.”

If Twitter is good enough for the President of the United States, it should be good enough for you, dirtbag.

1 Like

I’d say it’s terrorism because the intent isn’t just to murder an individual, it’s to terrorize a particular community people. I think it’s the intent to terrorize the black community that makes it terrorism, not the act in and of itself.

I don’t think calling it a terrorist act means that the individual still isn’t culpable for the actions, it just puts it into the larger context of anti-black sentiment aimed at making a white-only country.

10 Likes

Because the purpose in intentionally killing a random black person is to intimidate the black community. It’s the same as lynchings and cross burning. A racist murder would be one based on a racial bias, but without the intent to strike fear in to the black community - I would say many of the recent shootings of unarmed black men are properly classified as racist murders.[quote=“popobawa4u, post:31, topic:97531”]
The problem I have with it is that terrorism makes people not criminally culpable for their actions.
[/quote]

I don’t understand the reasoning here. I don’t see calling something terrorism as a way of relieving someone of culpability at all. To the extent that “hate crimes” or terrorism may be harder to prosecute because they require showing biased motivations, yes that may delay or deny justice, so there’s a possible criticism there. But I think the tradeoff is probably worth it because, to the extent that an entire community is affected by something, the punishment needs to reflect that.

4 Likes

Of course, I agree that we can infer that, but there isn’t anything explicit in the account given here. Maybe they will hang themselves by going on such a rant which provides actual evidence to that effect.

My reasoning is that a hate crime is still a crime, and so tried through the criminal justice system, which has a certain degree of accountability built into it. It’s hardly infallible or unbiased, but at least it’s something.

The increasing push over they past twenty years to re-frame pre-existing crimes as terrorism is that this enables the government to bypass the accountability of the criminal justice system, and instead handle it through military/defence channels. Where actual charges, evidence, and findings are made secret, where the public has no oversight. So I think it is profoundly disempowering to people. It takes advantage of the short-term outrage of people’s immediate emotional/visceral reactions to injustice while subverting due process and consolidating state power.

Even validly pointing out that “white people can be terrorists, too” can still be enabling systemic racism in the Federal government, when terrorism itself is their pretext for expansion and control. Meanwhile, we already have sufficient options to deal with this killer through legitimate channels.

1 Like

The history of American white supremacy does. The individual doesn’t have to say it themselves because they are acting out the ideology. We don’t need their words when we have their actions. And besides, the guy said he wanted to kill black people, not that he wanted to kill an individual.

7 Likes

I’m reasonably sure this isn’t terrorism. I mean, purely as a matter of pedantry, you understand—he should be prosecuted in the harshest possible terms, and if it takes ‘terrorism’ to make it happen, fine. I rather think it’s a textbook hate crime. There’s no political motivation—the message nonsense is purely to stroke the perpetually bruised ego of a narcissistic psychopath who’d do something like this.

The KKK, on the other hand, is terrorism. It is, perhaps, one of the purest examples of terrorism ever.

Ethnic cleansing the country of non-whites isn’t political?

11 Likes

If I understand what you’re saying, you’re thinking that somehow prosecution of “terrorists” bypass the criminal justice system and go in to some special court or proceeding. That’s just not true, at least when it comes to crimes committed on American soil. Yes there are special courts for attacks that happen abroad that fall under the laws of war, but those are something completely different. Acts of domestic terrorism are prosecuted in the same way that any other crime is, based on local and Federal law.

3 Likes

U didn’t get the memo? He deserved to die. That’s what 'Merican Media does. It places the blame on the victim, and brings up further points on why the victim represented, not a trend, but a natural predisposition of violence and crime. We call that Racism 101

10 Likes

I live in the Baltimore City neighborhood where the man who killed Timothy Caughman was living. This Saturday, we’re going to have a gathering to to show that we love and welcome our neighbors and visitors of color and that we stand against hate.

Here is a Google form to RSVP, sign up for event updates, and to send to your friends who aren’t on Facebook: https://goo.gl/forms/DGF9OPwggrMRdYi43

2 Likes

Sorry, here you go:

13 Likes

Amen. People need to go back to the basics, like Ida B. Wells for a better understanding of this. During the lynching epidemic she noted that in northern papers, the black men lynched were almost universal blamed for their own violent murders.

13 Likes

I mean look no further than 2011 to last week.
Selling loose cigarettes :Punishable by death
Carrying toy gun on back to purchase: PBD
Asking for Commanding officer: PBD
Attending a wedding reception and sitting in your car after: PBD
Exchanging Cigarillos or shoplifting: PBD
Looking for help while dying after a car accident: PB quickening of Death
Arguing a ticket: PBD
Reaching for your registration as instructed: PBD
Going to work: PBD
Being 14yo black male in a park playing with anyting that resembles a gun: you deserved that death.

We will also show your lifeless bodies on national and local news networks to strike fear in you and to make others feel that your life isn’t valuable. We will show your faces in newpapers when you are a suspect and nothing more, we will portray you in video games and movies as a slave, house keep, warlord, drug dealer, starving 3rd worlder, oversized Athlete, whoremonger, but anything but civilized. But if you are none of these things we will kill you off first. We will flood your cable networks with shows that depict your women as sex hungry and uneducated (housewives, basketball hoes, love and hip hop, survivor, etc). We will continue to say slavery was so long ago and jim crow didn’t exist while telling you to get over it. We will experiment on you men and give them disease without curing them (Tuskegee Exp), we will put programs in place to undermine your growth (See Nixon/Reagan). We will convince our people that your people will never be 'American" and therefore never excepted.

16 Likes