Blackhawks fans riot and for some reason it's not sensationalized by the media

Source? I saw reports of a single police vehicle blocks from the celebration.

ABC news. & my bad it was 4 felony and 21 misdemeanor arrests, so they weren’t letting all misdemeanors slide.

Note to computer, I am spelling misdemeanor correctly so go fuck yourself.

4 Likes

Again, if the point here is to say “white people are treated differently,” absolutely. But I think the point is there are FAR better examples than this one. This one’s flimsy, and I’m one who hates the drunken bro antics that are allowed down there on a daily basis.

And if we’re talking symmetry, at least the police had helicopters and officers on horseback. If they were truly “boys will be boys,” I’d have thought they’d have just had some barricades up and let it happen.

I am curious what kind of night the officer choking guy had in his cell…the CPD doesn’t condone that no matter what color your skin. If they avoided giving him the phone book treatment, it’s probably more because they’re still under fire for the John Burge situation.

And that, right there, is the point. The word “riot” is being applied liberally to protest crowds consisting primarily of POC, but not to an equally behaved crowd of white people “celebrating.”

11 Likes

It isn’t flimsy at all.

There was no escalation to what would satisfy a standard you haven’t named, but that too is a result of a double-standard. In particular, that double standard is by police, which should be emphasized given the focal points of the riots in Ferguson and Baltimore.

4 Likes

In case no one got it from @IronEdithKidd 's last post,

If you think this isn’t a valid comparative then you’ve begun accepting something you probably shouldn’t, whether you know it or not.

5 Likes

Showing up for something, and showing up against something, are entirely different.

Everyone enjoy your semantics.

1 Like

The insinuation here was that the damage was symmetrical but the response wasn’t, and that’s a false analogy. And the counter argument appears to be that the damage was less because the police didn’t crack skulls, which is a speculation at best.

Looking at the Disco Demolition Night, we can see how a show of force can completely disarm a situation similar to the Hawks celebration. People in Chicago know what those light blue helmets mean.

However, we can see that things can escalate in Chicago when no police are involved. Happens all the time. And in many of those cases, the cops never even respond.

I have to say again that I hate being on this side of the argument. I almost wish there were more car fires, it would make this a compelling argument.

At best, the argument is that if the crowd’s skin color were different, the police reaction would have been different, and that’s an unavoidable conclusion given what we’ve seen in the past year. But nothing here adds anything to what we’ve seen with countless police overreaction videos, which make a far more convincing case than any drunken bro crowd surfers could ever make.

If? What else would the point be? I mean, yes, if you only read the early replies to this article, you wouldn’t catch that, but the article makes it pretty clear…

1 Like

It’s not speculation in the least.

The lessened police response was a policy initiative resultant of the 2013 sportsgame riot. Which did escalate and was called a riot.

Though no one asked fans to condemn themselves, their community, to denounce violence or make any other statement that would be used to justify actions & harden opinions against their community.

2 Likes

No, FFS, that’s not the insinuation here.

The point of the OP is that if crowds consisting mostly of blacks had done the same things as last night’s crowds consisting mostly of whites, the response, on the part of the media, would surely have been very different, including a much faster application of the word “riot.”

2 Likes

Right, then why don’t we just have daily stories:
“White guy not racially profiled for driving crappy car” stories every day? It’s obvious that it’s unfair, that’s why. It’s so banal it’s not even a story.

That’s the point here, not that there’s bias, because I’m pretty sure we’re all on the same side understanding how messed up the disproportionate use of force is in our society. And lousy arguments undermine making that case, because it gives the Fox News folks ammo for arguing that anyone who cares is biased against them.

If we want to affect change, that’s the last thing we need.

It EXACTLY is. How can Ferguson/Baltimore be mentioned in the same sentence and that not be the equivalence? Is the argument really that if the police hadn’t shown up/reacted in either of those that there wouldn’t have been a single store burned?

I wanted to burn stores and I wasn’t even there. Every time I see an unarmed citizen being tear gassed/beaten, the anger is palpable. I can’t imagine the rage for the folks that were there, it happens every day in those communities.

No that’s not the argument. Where on earth did you get that?

2 Likes

From you.

“In Ferguson and Baltimore most people behaved themselves.”

That’s where. To even compare a celebratory gathering, however drunken and stupid, to political social marches makes an equivalence between the two. And it therefore asks “Why did X happen at one and not the other?”

To parse that, we have to ask what “X” was, and look at the result of both. The police clearly escalated situations in both Baltimore and Ferguson. But to say that the same thing would have happened after the championship is patently absurd, because it ignores the entire context of the situation. Would there have been more police overreaction if there had been some mythical minority-only city sport that the entire white population ignores, and would they have been quicker to overreact to the celebrations? Yeah, probably. I don’t think anyone disagrees. But the analogy is clearly being made, and to pretend it’s not is dishonest.

The equivalence is “crowds of unruly black people” and “crowds of unruly white people,” and the double standard being pointed out is the differing response on the part of police and corporate media. Your insistence that it matters that the two crowds had different reasons for getting together as a crowd is an insistence about a topic that the OP isn’t about. You’re arguing with yourself, not with the OP.

6 Likes

That’s the point. It’s a gross generalization. “White people != black people”, and when asked to clarify, Baltimore and Ferguson are brought up.

Again, this is a poor example to make a point with, and I think it ultimately undermines what is a very valid argument about double standards. But hey, it’s the internet, so clearly no exchange of ideas or communication can happen today, even with people on the same side of the argument.

Nonsense. Let me fill that in for you, causing it to appear precisely the way you initially read it, to be sure that it remains in context for you.

So you see now, as you did before, that what is being compared in this instance is the contrasting characterizations. The person to whom I was responding would likely accept that Ferguson and Baltimore were riots. Wouldn’t you?

You see now?

4 Likes

All the fucking violence against protesters we’ve witnessed in Ferguson et.al, but in this sports-riot, not even one cop could’ve found this guy and, you know, just roughed him up a bit, I mean, for me? For all of us?

Or is this some kind of satire I’m not hip to yet…

3 Likes