Blogger gave lecture on dealing with trolls, then stabbed to death by a troll

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/29/blogger-gave-lecture-on-dealin.html

6 Likes

Anyone else suspect that had this happened in the U.S. it wouldn’t be a story about one man getting killed with a knife but rather many with a gun?

24 Likes

So maybe it’s time we considered that trolling can and sometimes does escalate to more. Can we stop brushing it aside now? Please? Because those of us who have been stalked by someone who primarily uses trolling to fuck with you know that sometimes these people seriously want to harm you… trolling is not just shits and fucking giggles. Ignoring it doesn’t make it stop. Just… you know… maybe?

(not necessarily speaking only to this specific community, but to broader society)

36 Likes

“Only joking! Just harmless fun! I didn’t really mean it when I said I’d kill him!”

22 Likes

Drew Magary’s near-future novel The Postmortal describes a whole subculture of “Terra trollies,” basically human garbage who have graduated from harassing people on the internet to attacking/disfiguring/murdering people in real life. All too plausible for my taste.

21 Likes

“I held a grudge against him over Internet (exchanges),” and “I thought I would kill him.”

Well it all seems so logical.

Probably not. Most murders are targeted against one person. In his statement it was clear it was targeted against the one person. Had he wanted to stab more people, he could have tried, and there are examples of people doing just that.

9 Likes

Milo? Is that you?

13 Likes

It was. 5 dead yesterday. https://www.npr.org/2018/06/29/624558184/what-we-know-about-the-alleged-gunman-at-a-maryland-newspaper

Blockquote "For years prior to the attack on Thursday afternoon, authorities say Jarrod W. Ramos, 38, had used social media to excoriate the paper, along with the prosecutors and judges in his case, setting up a Twitter account that he said was dedicated to defending himself and “making corpses of corrupt careers and corporate entities.”

18 Likes

Look, the internet is “Serious” business and has no ramifications so it’s cool if you do horrible things to people.

Nothing wrong with gleeful cruelty for lulz right?

cAKHYpy

14 Likes

See? Standing up to bullies only makes them kill you! Flee! Cower!

2 Likes

Contains graphic cartoon discourse.

6 Likes

Why isn’t anyone mentioning that this guy was a member of Cult45? His twitter feed is on Youtube for anyone wanting to read it.

2 Likes

Was he on the supply-side or demand-side of crime?

1 Like

Philosophical conundrum: Is a troll that takes responsibility for his actions actually a troll?

3 Likes

Yes.

­

11 Likes

Please tell me we don’t now have a similar anti-troll lecturer who cares for the bereaved. I mean do, but not in the context of a Mr. Neighbor’s House 3.

1 Like

On a side note, Japan has (in global comparison) very strict laws regarding the carrying of knives in public.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#Japan]

Any fixed knife containing a blade length of 15 cm or more requires permission from the prefectural public safety commission in order to possess. Posession requirements also apply to any type of pocket knife over 6 cm (including Automatic Knives), spears over 15 cm in blade length […] All knives with a blade length over 8 cm are prohibited from being carried, […] in cases where assault occurs with the knife, there is a penalty of up to 2 years prison or up to a ¥300000 fine. Folding knives with a blade length less than 8 cm (such as Swiss Army knives) are permitted, while SAK with a lock blade are prohibited from being carried.

Didn’t do any good in this case though.

3 Likes

Is that what is says on the handle?

2 Likes

What is Cult45? A band?

Not really? A crazy with a grudge against one person generally tries to kill that one person. Crazies with a grudge against a group, business, institution, etc. are the ones who kill as many as they can.

There are many, many examples of how horrible gun violence is in the US. I don’t think we need to go digging for ways to connect unrelated stories to it.

1 Like