Blogger gave lecture on dealing with trolls, then stabbed to death by a troll

It literally happened just yesterday. The shooting, I mean. Five dead because one asshole nurturing a grudge decided to shoot a local reporter, then didn’t bother stopping until after a reload.

3 Likes

That was exactly the guy I had in mind when I posted. He had a well-documented, years-long grudge against everyone at the paper, plus quite a few lawyers and judges. https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/29/us/annapolis-capital-gazette-newspaper-shooting-suspect-long-vendetta-invs/index.html

2 Likes

There’s more to this story than has been reported in the Japanese press but those who know aren’t talking.

Yes this is about the internet but also no it isn’t. These sorts of grudge killings have a long history here. Something said in person, something said in print, doesn’t matter. Almost always the killer turns themselves in.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/hashtag/cult45

As much as I do think that there are cultic elements to Trump’s supporters, I don’t think the usually pejorative term should be tossed too lightly.

Under the old rules of thumb, they don’t quite match, but now the Internet changes things.

Dr. Robert J. Lifton’s Eight Criteria for Thought Reform:
http://www.csj.org/studyindex/studymindctr/study_mindctr_lifton.htm

1 Like

Weird that people who are going to commit criminal acts aren’t really all that good at toeing the legal line eh?

1 Like

Settling a debt of honour, something like that?

No thats completely different. This is just a cultural feature (can you call it a feature?) where some here can only negate the sting of a real or perceived insult by killing the person who was the source of the insult.

Note that perceived really matters to the person who feels aggrieved. Outsiders may not be able to understand why the person felt slighted, the words in question may not have been directed at the person or may have been very abstract and simply understood by the person as a direct insult.

Sometimes the cause is really obvious, sometimes not. I don’t have enough information at hand as per my previous comment to make any observation which this might be. In the end, its just accepted here that A felt aggrieved by B and that was the motive for A to kill B. If A says so when they turn themselves in, thats accepted at face value and the underlying reasoning may or may not ever be examined.

While there is some parallel to this outside Japan, it does seem to be much more an operative feature of the culture here, especially the part where the killer surrenders themselves voluntarily.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info.
I’ll have to think about this for a while.

1 Like

Sounds like Europe in 18th century.

It proves he’s a Japanese troll. It’s different from here. Japanese folks are very responsible, even when they’re anti-social.

2 Likes

That sounds very much like the traditional “honor killing”. More restricted in scope, but the idea that a nonviolent insult can injure someone in a way that can only be righted by violent revenge is what honor killing is all about.

1 Like

An honor killing involves a clear stain on someone’s honor in such a way as to be fully public. Different from a grudge killing for reasons already explained.

Why not? Is it too inflammatory to point out that his supporters act just like cult members? Is that not something we should be talking about? Is their slavish devotion to his con even when the truth and the facts are right there in front of them not a problem for you? Is his gaslighting of a huge swathe of our population not a concern anymore?

1 Like

Thanks. Things happen so fast online that a normal life rhythm will make one miss part of the loop (thankfully)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.