Invasion boards set out to ruin lives

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Well damn, I know it’s MLK day and all, but it’s been 30m and no-one’s posted “i’m shocked that bOING bOING would be against free speech.” Back to cat video listicles, I guess!

17 Likes

Ha. I knew it! But I never thought you’d admit it. 8)

Mostly we’re just too scared to post in GG-related threads, lest we be accused of being newbie-sockpuppets.

11 Likes

Clearly, they’re all out busy doing some community service and aren’t able to come correct us Frankfurt school crypto-facists … MLK is a day on, not a day off, Rob!

11 Likes

It’s definitely not free speech when it’s an actual crime.

Intimidation
“Means to intentionally say or do something which would cause a person of ordinary sensibilities to be fearful of bodily harm. It is not necessary to prove that the victim was actually frightened, and neither is it necessary to prove that the behavior of the person was so violent that it was likely to cause terror, panic or hysteria.”
It’s a felony and you can get 10 years for this.

Also Criminal threatening, menacing, terrorizing. And in the case of Swatting, murder.

7 Likes

This here is SMURF.C, not as clumsy or random as a doxx or swatting.

An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.

1 Like

I’ve always thought everyone involved in those food fights should meet up in real life and go to a hotel for an angry grudge-**** because they all have more in common than they’d like to admit.

3 Likes
The goal is to antagonize their targets into responding. That response, be it retreat, fear, or defiance, “generates lulz”, feeding into the raiders’ mean-spirited sense of humor. 

5 Likes

Because people who ruin lives are exactly like the people whose lives have been ruined? I don’t suppose that could be considered blaming the victim at all?

14 Likes

For all I know I have an army of stalkers and a thousand death threats on Twitter. Except I’m not on Twitter, and if someone told me I was getting death threats on Twitter I’d say “So?” And I have had death threats, credible death threats from real people with real motives who could have gotten to me easily. My life was in no way ruined by that experience.

1 Like

It therefore follows that all other people would feel the same way if they weren’t such fools. From this it follows that anybody whose lives seemed to be ruined by death threats are actually drama queens who had it coming. Is that about right?

19 Likes

The thing is, if you had an army of stalkers on Twitter, this army would be damn sure to let you know about it. Hence the centrality of doxxing to this. The point isn’t just to smear somebody’s public reputation, but to also rub it in their face.

9 Likes

The point is I still would not care.

Could you put a different brand of cheese in your mousetrap? I don’t like cheddar.

3 Likes

God bless you Captain Obvious!

Who are you scoring a point against? Me? The author of the quoted words? Or maybe you? I have just no idea.

1 Like

Even if they sent the SWAT team to your house?

I call shenaigans* (edited from a more incendiary word choice)

I’ve -actually- been poisoned, but never clear by whom. Only cowards make threats, that’s true. And It actually improved my life, since I paid a lot closer attention to what I ate and who I allowed in my house.

4 Likes

But surely this allowed you to extrapolate the experience of all other poisonees, some of whom have had the temerity to whine about “dying” when what they really need to do is meet up in real life with their poisoner and go to a hotel for an angry grudge-****. Which is what I’m sure you’d do if you ever found out by whom, right? After all, this was literally a food fight.

8 Likes

Other way around.

Edited to add, for clarity: It’s the intoxicated who never stop extrapolating my experience. Yours too. Projection is their thing. Also… what do I have to do with your imagined grudge-****? I missed something.