BMI has "crucial shortcomings" as measure of obesity

Six foot ceilings in a 400-yr-old house. With ceiling beams. I passed 6’ in height somewhere in my mid to late teens.

2 Likes

I’m around a 19.5 on the BMI, so on the low end of “normal”. People usually describe me as very thin or skinny, and occasionally people will express concern that I’m too thin to be healthy. My weight hasn’t varied more than two or three pounds since my late teens.

Once, I was having a checkup at a clinic I was visiting for the first time, and after taking my vitals, the nurse made a point of lecturing me that I needed to gain weight, because my body fat was dangerously low and if I ever got any illness that involved vomiting or diarrhea, the weight loss would likely kill me. She pointed out that my BMI didn’t even show up on the chart they had on the wall – which, I noticed, omitted the “normal” and “underweight” ranges entirely. (Other medical professionals I’ve seen since have told me my weight is healthy, for me anyway.)

Anyway, it seems like what’s “normal” on the BMI appears to most people as exceptionally thin, to the point of possibly being malnourished or sick, so it just seems at odds with a realistic description of norms.

2 Likes

The uselessness of BMI except as the vaguest of guidelines is pretty well known. Just, sadly, not as well known as the misinformation around it.

1 Like

Yeah, just lug that to Ethiopia and you are on to something! Most nutrition concerns worldwide are people who have little money for healthcare and are missing even the most basic medical supplies.

2 Likes

BMI has “crucial shortcomings” as measure of obesity

That’s why I always measure myself using ASCAP.

2 Likes

But I don’t live in Etiopia, and I gave up on saving the world years ago.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.