Bob Ross's painting from the first episode of his show is for sale

Originally published at: Bob Ross's painting from the first episode of his show is for sale | Boing Boing

1 Like

Bob Ross Reaction GIF

11 Likes

Provenance counts for a lot in the art sales world.

11 Likes

“Meh, I could paint that.”

“Well duh, that was the point of the show.”

20 Likes

they show bob here at 11:30 pm on weeknights. soothing, so soothing.

4 Likes

I suspect Bob would be disgusted at that amount of money, unless it was being dedicated to education, the arts, or happy little trees.

10 Likes

I am GENUINELY impressed that this is not available as an NFT.

7 Likes

Most of the streaming services have a 24/7 Bob Ross channel.

When I can’t sleep I put on Bob Ross or How It’s Made or Andy Griffith.

It usually backfires though because I stay awake watching Bob to see how he goes from a blank canvas to a mountain scene and if I’m lucky he shows his baby squirrel Peapod.

And here he is with a few different animals.

6 Likes

I have often wondered why visual artists seem to give up all rights to their work upon sale while almost every other artist I can think of controls rights. They could sell the object but keep the rights to the image, no? Then every time a work is sold, X percent would go to the artist or their designate.

2 Likes

Give it time…

2 Likes

When Ross comes back as a superhero and starts kicking some ass.

4 Likes

Even without droit de suite, the artist retains copyright on the work. Ownership of the physical work of art does not give you the right to reproduce it.

4 Likes

TIL! Thanks.

I was thinking that contractually, the object could be sold outright, AND a license to possess the image granted until a change of ownership occurs. Then a new license issued to the new owner for $. And so on.

ETA paragraphs

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.