"Bobby McFerrin teaches us about the pentatonic scale through audience participation

Originally published at: "Bobby McFerrin teaches us about the pentatonic scale through audience participation | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Do we have a shorthand for when previously linked material resurfaces?
I’m happy to introduce new eyeballs to cool old stuff, but a little due diligence would be nice.

2 Likes

I think “reboing” is the applicable term of art here.

Having said that, I think this one might be past the statute of limitations (2009).

4 Likes

Also, if I remember correctly, the audience doesn’t just remember the given tones, they also spontaneously extrapolate a tone for a position that hadn’t been previously discussed/assigned, which is, in my opinion, the most incredible part of the video.

2 Likes

Minor pentatonic was first scale I learned on guitar, and then figuring out how it can relate to the root of various modes was my introduction to western music theory.

No one I can think of on this planet would be harmed by watching this vid at least 1X per month. Alternatively, you can simply close your browser or tab by simply pressing the “X” in either the upper right or upper left or wherever the fuck it happens to be.

4 Likes

It’s an oldie, but a very nice one.

“If you’re looking for a job in neuroscience…”

He already has one, I think. :wink:

(Isn’t that what music is?)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.