Bodies are weird

The web of my thumb on the right hand and left hand are different. My right thumb barely goes back 90 degree because it is limited by the web of the thumb, while my left thumb can go back about 130 degrees relative to the index finger. I think my right thumb is closer to normal, while I think of my left hand as being “bigger” because it can easily pick up a gallon can of paint.

A former GF had clubbed thumbs that literally looked like big toes, and that’s pretty common, but her’s were severe. Also the skin of her palms was unusually wrinkled.

Right there with you on the temperature thing… by any chance do you have low blood pressure? I’ve always chalked up my low temp to my low (not freakishly so) blood pressure, but that is based on pure and rampant speculation.

Ya, BP is low… Apparently, it must have been on the really low side during my last Dr visit - the nurse took it twice on one arm and then switched to the other one.

1 Like

No idea. Maybe some effect like a sea shell thing?

Isn’t flexing a muscle actually very rapid pulsing of individual fiber bundles, instead of a uniform and constant contraction? I was under the impression that that was the explanation for why your arms shake when you start to hyperflex them or over exert them lifting… It’s the flex-pulses becoming exaggerated by exhaustion. I would expect a tiny muscle in the ear that one has only limited conscious control of would get tired very quickly, and start vibrating…

1 Like

I have a greyish spot on my middle finger, fingertip side, clearly visible, just about 1 mm above the line where the fingertip joint line is. It’s the remains of a pencil tip that broke off inside and healed over. Doesn’t hurt or even give any sensation no matter how hard I press on it (other than the sensation of the pressing contact itself).

However, in my case I clearly remember when it happened. D&D game, unexpected pencil buried under couch cushion while I was looking for something else (a lost die, perhaps). Hurt like hell!

It definitely feels like the flexing of a muscle. I can barely maintain the rumble for a 15 second period.

I can do it too, and I’m pretty much convinced that there’s a little bit of musculature associated with the eustachian tube. It would typically act autonomously without our notice to work gunk out of our middle ears, moving it into the throat to be safely swallowed/get caught by mucous. I would expect the muscle to be peristaltic in it’s contractions, but when we consciously activate it, we’re doing a single solid contraction of the whole muscle, instead of sending a wave down the length of it toward the throat.

If it’s anything like the rectum, which works both autonomously and via conscious control, the conscious contraction is often a lot stronger than the typical autonomous peristaltic contractions, and can cause strain, leading to a throbbing, or rumbling sensations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.