Boeing 747 cargo jet catches fire as it flies over Miami — "Oh my God!" says stunned witness (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/19/boeing-747-cargo-jet-catches-fire-as-it-flies-over-miami-oh-my-god-says-stunned-witness-video.html

1 Like

5 Likes

Always see the positive side: you can easily open the window and let the smoke out.

5 Likes

I recently learned that they say “souls” on board instead of “people” because they do occasionally transport dead bodies and want to differentiate in the event of a recovery operation.

11 Likes

i was wondering why they used the term “souls” – thanks!

5 Likes

Of course, anyone with any knowledge of aviation knows that the engines in the jet weren’t supplied by Boeing and there’s a better than even chance that the owners of the aircraft didn’t own the engines, either, but lease them from (probably) GE. But, hey, why let facts get in the way of sensationalist clickbait?

5 Likes

I like your T-shirt “Boeing doesn’t make engines for the 747 Atlas”

1 Like

Here’s the FlightAware flight track if anyone’s curious.

I’m as enthusiastic Boeing basher as anyone these days - I used to work for BeechCraft, I have an opinion about the industry, but it’s really irritating to see them being bashed out of ignorance.

3 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

… I feel safer already :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

They probably don’t even own the airplane. It’s all (well, not all, but mostly) on a sale-leaseback. This is true with power plants, locomotive rolling stock, airplanes (and, separately, airplane engines), etc. Investors buy the hard assets and then lease it back to the operator. There are a lot of tedious GAAP and tax reasons to do this, but I haven’t had to think about that sort of stuff in almost 20 years.

1 Like

Jurassic Park Wow GIF

4 Likes

I like to refer to it as “Drunking” aircraft. The ‘Boeing bounce’ thing loses it’s humor when grave quality failures are a weekly event.

This aircraft - its so smooth, and balanced, and ergonomic, and the AC is even cool the way the air wisps out of the vents. Oh. Airbus.

So long as the Drunking aircraft worker : office dude ratio is around 1 : 9; these type of failures are going to continue happening more, especially with so many aging airframes, and no real innovation in their engineering. Maybe bump that ratio up to 1 : 10. Gives some hiring space for another layer of in the chair/desk “Office QC” development.

The important thing is that no one is liable.

3 Likes

What are you on about? Where does the BB post give any sort of opinion about Boeing other than that the engine was on fire attached to one?

9 Likes

Even an airline who wants to buy a Boeing aircraft outright will find it very hard to do so. The leasing companies are ahead of you on the waiting list so you have little choice but to lease it from them at a higher lifetime cost than ownership.

Color me confused as well.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.