Passengers post harrowing videos of fiery engine surge as plane returns safely to LAX

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/22/passengers-post-harrowing-vide.html

4 Likes

Yep, thats not a happy engine :stuck_out_tongue:

Could be a bird strike, such as in this video:

Or just a random engine failure…

Edit: swapped the vid link, turned out the one i linked was a cut-down edited version of the vid i intended.

6 Likes

Back in the good ol’ days I arrived after a transatlantic on one remaining of four engines. One did that on take off. One mid flight. One on landing flare.

People are so hyper now. :wink:

14 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress

Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9, over the Indian Ocean south of Java, 24 June 1982

14 Likes

I gotta post this again – April 1968, Eastern Airlines, JFK. Unfortunately I don’t remember this, as I was only 14 months old

4 Likes

gif~c200

6 Likes

Boeing’s new 777 BBQ mode. Nothing to worry about. Try the ribs.

9 Likes

Glad everyone is okay. Always remember these safety tips:

1. Buckle seat belts and return tray tables and chairs to upright positions.
  2. Assume crash positions.
  3. Turn your phone on it’s side while filming (can’t see much in spy pencil camera mode!) :grin:
6 Likes

6 Likes

Some more technically oriented journalism.

And a Boeing Training Video on compressor stalls.

6 Likes

Given the shape of the airplane window, portrait orientation is better than landscape.

3 Likes

Airplane engines are always on fire. Thats how they work.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.