Boing Boing's Undisclosed Paid Endorsements - Do They Violate FTC Guidelines?

Great post! Its helping me to get my head around how I feel. I’ve read BB long enough to trust them not to do anything sketchy-- hell, I’ll click the links harder now knowing they’re making BB money, and it won’t affect my future clicking–but I guess I had a knee jerk, maybe naive, expectation that when there’s financial gain to be made in an opinion/editorial piece, it’s mentioned close to the link, and there was a weird bit of dissonance when I realized that wasn’t the case here. But you’re right, the real question is does it matter, and I can’t say that it does–it’s clear they are affiliate links for anyone taking 2 seconds to think about it. (I just never did, thus the “huh!” moment that led me to read this entire. freaking. thread.).

3 Likes

If I had to lay some money down, I’d place it on the subscription model with “10 free articles per month” or the “complete this short survey for 2 days free access” add-on packs.

If there were micropayments, where we couldhad to pay $0.02 to read an article? pffft. That’s nothin’! Clicky-clicky-click-click-click!

And BB would finally rake in the dough so CD could stop having to lecture and write books and get back to collecting rare Libby’s Tiki-ware. JLW could get a decent van that doesn’t need repairs every other week, and Rob could finally medically transition to being a flesh-and-blood hobbit. Everybody wins!

3 Likes

Seriously, I post and go back to edit, and by the time I’m done editing there are likes? YOU PEOPLE NEED JOBS!

Or a job with a manager that walks by your desk once in a while. Thank g-d mine works remotely.

1 Like

A certain uncertainty? I don’t agree that the whiff of change is in the air any more than it always is.

1 Like

There… could be… another reason for the whiff…

There could also be a reason for the fixation

I suspect another form of fixation:

or just a mid-morning snack:

Shout-out to my homies in the Rolling Stones!

My new band name:

#Grip-Spreader

It’s gonna be something like Norwegian black metal, with lyrics from classic Frankfurt school texts.

3 Likes

Nota bene.

1 Like

All this means is that I now have to follow you around clicking on Like as fast as I can.

2 Likes

A tangential thought related to the concern about affiliate links - it would seem that a better consumer-focused solution might lie at the browser level than relying on the integrity of any given website. I imagine a browser plugin that would detect affiliate links and highlight them for the users, either as a different color as Patrace said, and/or perhaps providing more info via hovertext. Perhaps such a plugin already exists?

I could see such a plugin being something that most bb-ers would freely point to as a tool to promote transparency (like Ghostery), but would also allow blogging professionals to continue with their revenue models.

3 Likes

Well, a plug in certainly would be easier than trying to get what I thought was a somewhat socially progressive website to follow the national guidelines for disclosure…

I wondered if such a thing already existed but all I found was a plugin that surreptitiously inserted its own affiliate links into Amazon links.

2 Likes

So, ironically, the technology and databases needed to identify a wide range of affiliate links in a web browser already exists - it just happens to have been written as malware for purposes of hijacking the referrals. I guess it is a proof of concept, in a way.

1 Like

Good luck with that.

1 Like

1 Like

We appear to have run out of things to say about the topic and are now into personal attacks between community members. Those have been deleted.