Book discussion - The Quarry - Discussion of Chapter 2

Which was followed by the Haze example I mentioned above. Most people really do drive through life unaware of how their smallest actions affect the people around them. I thought it was a nice touch.

5 Likes

The description of Grayzr is a bit over the top, it seems like a cross between Google, MLM, and Heavenā€™s Gate. Which is what I love about it. Itā€™s not MicroSerfs, but that was 15 years ago. Things have gotten weirder, and the hype has gotten hypier, at the same time the industry believes it has a more objective view of itself. From the outside, this is what Google looks like to a lot of us (and I work as a programmer in an insurance-related industry. Totally boring tech. We get free coffee and popcorn. Woo. Actually, I love the popcorn, and coffee is pretty good).

I really havenā€™t seen much technology beyond the supermarket and mentions of the MMORPG and the missing VCR.

As far as Kit being a crappy Dad, are their any good dadā€™s in Banksā€™ fiction? IThe only non-genre Banks Iā€™ve read is The Wasp Factoryā€¦ not a good dad. In none of the genre works Iā€™ve read has there actually been a parent that I can recall. An eternally pregnant women, carrying the fetus for 40 years. Thatā€™s as close as I can recall.

2 Likes

Holy moly: didnā€™t know he wrote horror stories!

1 Like

20 :frowning:

1 Like

That is an excellent point. Itā€™s the first thing Kit tells us about himself, which means itā€™s foremost in his sense of self-identity (and why wouldnā€™t it be? Itā€™s fundamental in every sense of the word):

This is probably because I've had to think about who I am and who I'm not, which is something your average person generally doesn't have to do. Your average person has a pair of parents, or at least a mother, or at least knows roughly where they fit into all that family business in a way that I, for better or worse, don't.

This grabbed me instantly when I started reading the book, because in almost all discussions or portrayals of parents and children (real or fictional) there is the unacknowledged baseline that children are chattel and the parents have the right to lay out all the boundaries, when actually it is harmful to children ā€“ who are human beings too, after all ā€“ to have their identities played around with so that the parent(s)ā€™ perception of reality takes precedence over the truth. Guy has spent Kitā€™s entire life joking about the boyā€™s very ORIGINS in public: his mother, his conception, his arrival in Guyā€™s life. As you say, this is cruel. A neurotypical child might well have responded by doing drugs, acting out violently, or committing suicide. The only reason Kit hasnā€™t been horribly damaged by Guyā€™s emotional cruelty is because he canā€™t understand the depths of the parental betrayal.

6 Likes

I think this gets at why I didnā€™t bristle when JLW said he found Kit to be ā€œfairly unbelievable.ā€ For someone who is supposed to have difficulty socializing, Kit seems far and away the most socially conscious, and courteous, of the lot.

Perhaps thatā€™s the message Banks will try to convey, that those who get labeled as ā€œdifferentā€ are not really that ā€œdifferent.ā€ Or, perhaps itā€™s foreshadowing of a plot twist where Kitā€™s social skills fail him in a plot-pivoting kind of way.

Those observations are not to detract from the fact that most are finding Kit like-able, which he is, and that he has relateable quirks and passions, which he does.

5 Likes

Being aware of something doesnā€™t mean being good at it. Kit can analyze social situations and relations very well, but thatā€™s because he has to; it doesnā€™t come naturally to him like it does to most people. Most people are social naturally, which can mean being kind or being a dick, being very talkative or very quiet - thatā€™s different from the difficulties autistic people have with social situations. Autistic people can have wonderful social skills, but you can bet itā€™s the work of a huge amount of practicing and that theyā€™re working themselves crazy with all the analyzing and play-acting they have to constantly do.

6 Likes

Sorry Iā€™m late to this chapter party all - just got back from the arctic wastelands of Louisville! Iā€™ll read tonight or tomorrow and post some thoughts on the chapter tomorrow!

3 Likes

But Kit is good at it, so far. Heā€™s maintained grace in the midst of some really unpleasant interpersonal situations.

1 Like

as long as you post a link to the next thread into the old thread, you donā€™t have to ping everyone. itā€™s a lot easier on you, and it is considered standard protocol and etiquette in other forums Iā€™ve been on. @funruly knows what Iā€™m talking about; he crossposted this page into the chapter 1 thread seemingly right after he posted here; good looking out, fun.

[quote=ā€œpenguinchris, post:14, topic:52243ā€]
can I assume weā€™re all agreeing that spoiler tags are only used for actual spoilers, and not in any situation that may be confusing?
[/quote] I hope so. Iā€™m reading chapter-by-chapter, too.

as for the book itself, not much to add that others havenā€™t already said; the dynamic between Guyā€™s friends seems like more of the same, nothing really happens. But the bit about Kit on his walks reminded me greatly of my boyhood home and all those memories came flooding back. Sycamore. One word, and I was walking that land again.

2 Likes

Have been offline with computer issues for about 5 days, popping to bed soon, but just wanted to say - the obvious telegraphing of this particular MacGuffin is getting on my nerves something fierce. WILL KIT FIND THE TAPE??? the plot cries out. I hope he finds it in chapter 3 and thenā€¦ takes off somewhere, or throws it into the quarry, or something, so we can have a book about something more interesting.

4 Likes

@Raita 's take on your comment was good and Iā€™ll probably be reiterating a bit but Iā€™d like to add some more here because what you say hereā€¦

ā€¦this is how many so-called high-functioning autistic people often feel about themselves, without entirely realizing how other people often perceive them as the opposite. Itā€™s because someone like Kit (or Raita or myself) has had to analyze and learn the rules of every type of social interaction deliberately (well, a lot does actually come relatively naturally or is learned naturally, of course). So as Kit describes in the book at some length, partially with Holā€™s help, heā€™s figured out exactly what to do in various situations and basically runs an algorithm in his head with pre-recorded responses to various inputs.

But, actually doing that - every time, much less successfully every time - is a totally different thing from simply being aware of having to do it. Continuing with the computer programming metaphor, itā€™s very, very buggy code and is prone to random crashing or not even starting. I commented in chapter 1 about often not realizing Iā€™d been rude until later - that I am able to critically examine my past actions and make realizations like that is a learned skill in itself. Most of the time, I am actually oblivious to how I am perceived by others (I do of course do other things besides later reflection to help with this).

I suspect that Kit doesnā€™t really do that very much, and is largely oblivious most of the time - the fact that it takes effort for him to realize that he smells bad is a pretty major indicator of that. So considering that he is the narrator, you have to expect that heā€™s leaving out a lot about what other people think about him, because he not only doesnā€™t know what they think but doesnā€™t even know that they had any thoughts about him in the first place. And heā€™s portraying himself as probably more socially conscious and courteous than he actually would seem to others.

So I mean, you can say that not much has happened in the book so far, and that itā€™s all very cliche - both true. But it is actually a rather intricately done character study, with a whole lot going on separate from the actual plot. I too am not at all hooked by the story or the other characters or even the setting - the main thing here is the character study of Kit, a type of character you donā€™t see many first-person narratives from. Perhaps Banks hasnā€™t yet done as good a job of explaining the mind of an autistic person as some of us thought edit: or made it compelling enough for a general audience (or a mutant audience).

7 Likes

That was after I requested pings, as I hadnā€™t even known that the Chapter 1 discussion existed.

Now that we are in the middle of the discussion, linking the threads might work, yes.

This (and everything else you said above) is really well said and you put into words how I feel about the book and the character of Kit as well. Seeing how Kit is developed as a character is what drives me personally forward with this book - a lot of the other aspects are fairly standard, not that there arenā€™t other interesting bits, and Iā€™m still hoping for some of the characters to turn out more well-rounded.

Iā€™m really not in the right state to explain myself very well or in length (I go up and down, and now Iā€™m really down), so now I can just say: what @penguinchris said.

3 Likes

Iā€™m intrigued by the idea that Kit is an unreliable narrator. I hadnā€™t considered that.

I tend to trust my narrators. Tsk tsk tsk.

2 Likes

Any time a narrator asks me to loan than 5 bucks? I do it! Not a secondā€™s thought!

Ā 

Nick Carraway and Humbert Humbert still owe me. To his credit, Holden Caulfield grew up and paid me back. Not with interest, but he did bring a bottle of wine for my wife.

3 Likes

I find them interesting as a character study. I occasionally get frustrated by wanting the narrative to move on, but Iā€™m enjoying getting to know Kit as a person.

Thinking about that makes me reflect on the comments so far on the rest of the group, that their characters leave a lot to be desired (in terms of Banksā€™ fleshing them out, not in terms of their moral qualities per se). So far theyā€™re tropes, and not great ones at that. Is this Banks as author? Or is this Kit as narrator? Even Hol, whom we know more about thanks to her closeness with Kit, is really just outlines - sheā€™s a woman, whoā€¦ works in radio and cares about Kit.* But is that Banks holding off on giving us more insight into her, or falling into a typical male author trap when writing women? Or is that the limits of Kitā€™s perceptions of her?

I really love your comments on Kit overall, by the way.

*Have we passed the Bechdel test yet?

What I found frustrating about him in Chapter 1 was the frequent reflexive references to how clever he is and how boring everyone else is - itā€™s Banks building the character, and itā€™s actually somewhat endearing to learn about how heā€™s developed work-arounds for various neurotypical modes of expected communication, but it edges toward a kind of geek narcissism that I deal with a certain amount in the real world and online that is quite frustrating. (And which, probably, contains some elements of painful self-reflection for me - my Achilles heel as a teacher is that I can get very aggravated when others donā€™t learn the way I do, or as fast as I do).

2 Likes

And yet, for a bunch of people who supposedly really want to know where this thing is, they donā€™t seem very motivated to actually find it. Itā€™s Kit whoā€™s bothering to go through stuff. This is part of why it frustrates me as a MacGuffin.

4 Likes

You canā€™t admit to anybody else that youā€™re actually trying to find the thing. Because youā€™d be breaking the implied social contract theyā€™ve developed that says the tape is unimportant. You have to be furtive about it. Either everyone finds it together, and they can simultaneously murmur itā€™s unimportance, or they can tar-n-feather the villain who grabs it for his/her own nefarious singleton purposes.

Iā€™m guessing.

1 Like

Hmm, interesting theory.