Book discussion thingie P3 - Reading "The Quarry"

Don’t worry. I’m still waiting for ya.

I picked mine up last week, but haven’t started yet:

Also:

Ah, a “sleeping dictionary”.

That’s… odd? Sad? Not that I’m sad for my language gaining an exciting speaker, but sad for the poor little (fictional) Finno-Ugric language.

Back in 1992, I stayed in a Budapest apartment for a month with a wall of books (pretty much de rigeur over there; I saw some apartments with all non-windows covered with books-shelves stacked 2-deep, and books sideways on top). Of particular interest to me was the book on La Cicciolina, who was just out of the Italian Parliament the photographic book on speakers of Finno-Ugric, small tribes where sometimes only 5 people were left speaking the language.

Finglish, hunh?

#Come Midnight.

6 Likes

Not sure the Highway Code approves.

2 Likes

Interesting, hadn’t heard that phrase before, but knew instantly what you meant. I have heard “pillow dictionary” used to describe the same thing.

Wait…midnight, Raita’s time? Or midnight Donald’s time, when it’ll almost be the next day for Raita?

2 Likes

Hows about midnight Eucla time (UTC +08:45) ?

Close enough… it’s now midnight UCLA time.

4 Likes

Wow that town’s wiki page is crazy.

That is one weird time zone!

And apparently I’m now 15 minutes shy of being 12 hours late to start.

OK, what’s happening? It’s reading time? What day/time/timezone is the first discussion? @SmashMartian, you got your copy?

Sure have. But if you’re all waiting for me to post first, someone should let me know what I’m supposed to do/say. I haven’t got a scooby how these things are meant to work! :laughing:

3 Likes

Dictionary.com defines quarry as ‘an excavation or pit, usually open to the air, from which building stone, slate, or the like, is obtained by cutting, blasting, etc.’…

3 Likes

Are you sure? Mine says:

1. an animal, bird, or fish that is hunted, esp by other animals; prey
2 Likes

Spoiler alert

they release the audi driver into the quarry, and hunt him down like the quarry befitting of any driver of german locomotion

2 Likes

5 Likes

Audi is a good car. Ugly, but good. I have great stories about my 1978 5000.

1 Like

Fine I just bought a copy. It is being beamed to my Kindle. I didn’t realize it was a death race.

3 Likes

dog, did you seriously just quote the spoiler, and not re-spoiler it?

1 Like