📚 Best Book You Read In 2016 📚

The only other place where I use this pseudonym, actually, since I post links here all the time.

3 Likes

Probably Rothfuss’ The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

2 Likes

I’m sure people are verging on tired-of-hearing-about-this but Crucial Conversations was the best book I read in 2016. Second best non-fiction was Be the Best Bad Presenter Ever by Karen Hough.

Too Like the Lightning was the best new-to-me fiction novel I read in 2016.

Almost everything else I read (except re-reads and books about knitting) was really terrible. :sweat: Like not embarrassing. Just bad.

4 Likes

I would suggest Tales from the Loop but that was more about looking at the pictures (although I did enjoy the text)

And I have Things from the Flood to look at now.

I heard mixed things about that, but I think I will read it. Plus, I really like the cover art.

2 Likes

Too Like The Lightning is a challenging book and it’s got some stuff I got squicked over. The Whatcha Readin thread has more on that. :sweat: It’s a really good book but I don’t suggest it without reservations. :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

I loved that book. I’m trying to remember anything actually squick-worthy (by my own measures) and I can’t think of anything. What in it was triggering?

3 Likes

I wasn’t really feeling Too Like The Lightning. Readable, but not up to the hype. Not even the best book I’d read that week.

1 Like

I should say I don’t read books. I read magazines and stuff online.

2 Likes

How about:

or

Of course, I liked Too Like The Lightning quite a bit. One of the more original things I’d read this last year.

2 Likes

Dunno about best but the most fun read last year was Nathan Lowell’s Traders Tales series, originally recommended here:

Ripped through all of them in a row.

2 Likes

if re-reads are an option then easily the best book i’ve read this year would be “all on fire: william lloyd garrison and the abolition of slavery.” this is a fascinating, detailed, and well-researched biography of one of my heroes. despite being a 7th or 8th generation native of texas with 3 ancestors who fought for the confederacy, i find the institution of slavery utterly repugnant and consider the confederate flag morally equivalent to the nazi flag as well as being symbolic of treason. garrison is one of the most underrated figures in the history of 19th century america and this book absolutely gives him his due.

this book is in my top 20 best books i’ve read in my lifetime.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 48 days. New replies are no longer allowed.