Bosstown Dynamics, the future of law enforcement

Because Russia already owns both?

4 Likes

It was funny, but I’ve never seen that show.

And like a lot of satire, the issues it pokes fun or are real :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about we hit PAUSE and just don’t deploy autonomous, potentially-buggy systems armed with lethal force into peacetime civilian contexts and thereby avoid the myriad ethical, technical, and legal issues inherent to such a development?

Robot cops don’t need to be armed with lethal force. Arguably, neither do human cops. We do not improve society by licensing more violence in our communities.

11 Likes

We are a LONG way from it now. But it will probably be a thing.

That’s another thing, they don’t all need lethal capabilities, and would have it locked out by default. There are many other less lethal options. Also, per your above point, when they aren’t perfected, keep them unarmed.

2 Likes

That was great and the T-pose after flipping the table, fantastic! For those of you without teen children, for reasons unknown, the T-pose is a sign of asserting dominance. I do it to the Scouts in my troop every once in a while for a laugh.

4 Likes

Yeah, but can it do this?

15 Likes

Have your employers lost the key to the executive washroom?

5 Likes

where’s the profit in that?

3 Likes

Sure, the robots themselves aren’t racist. The biases are built into their algorithms.

9 Likes

Don’t tell us … a monkey’s doing it… (nah, that’s just gonna hurt). :wink:

4 Likes

It was a weird show. A broad workplace satire which turned out to be a science fiction show, but didn’t know it at the time. Two of the supporting characters are essentially corporate mad scientists.

It features a company so evil that they had daleks in their basement gathering dust.

6 Likes

I am pretty sure my employers are evil brains in jars of colored fluid, kept tucked away at the head office in Ohio.

7 Likes

Woah! What have you been smoking?

(And can I have some? Please?)

2 Likes

Don’t be fooled, though! Just because a robot can’t do your job doesn’t mean they won’t find one that appears to be able to do it.

4 Likes

I assume you missed that that vid is supposed to be humorous? Anyway, since you brought it up, why not skip the human-oid robot altogether? No sense in building a machine that has a bunch of moving parts, sensors, capability, etc., when the end goal is simply to kill. Just…I dunno…build a machine that fucking kills. End of story.

Actually, this makes me wonder what early refiners of the use of gunpowder would think of all this? Such a simple idea: an extremely flammable substance confined to a metal barrel with a small ball toward the open end. How much simpler can it get? But NO! We gotta go and try and add smarts to the mix! :smile:

1 Like

Boston Dynamics and Bosstown Dynamics are two different organizations. I assume the latter is aware that by poking fun at the former, they are calling attention to how close to reality their videos might actually end up being.

2 Likes

I, for one, welcome…

No! No I don’t! For god’s sake, somebody do something!

4 Likes

Color-coded to their MBA alma maters (Wharton and Harvard, respectively).

4 Likes

Where’s the money, patents, more money, export deals and money in that idea?

5 Likes

Destroy the robots now before it’s too late. They take our jobs and will kill our children.

kidding not kidding

1 Like