Bottled water: the ultimate throwback to feudal selfishness

You’re right - the bottles are stainless steel.

What the hell are you doing with them that they don’t last years?

Mostly, they just end up looking like shit after daily use. They are very reasonably priced though, so replacing them occasionally isn’t a big deal.

3 replacement Sport Cap 2.0 lids (not the less-expensive loop cap) for $12.95 total

Yes, the paint scrapes off. No question. You can reference my Humvee comment above. But the bottles still work fine.

They’re $20-40 dollars each to buy new, which means if you’re replacing them 2 to 3 times a year you are probably being more wasteful (including production costs) than if you bought plastic bottled water. Congratulations?

2 Likes

I’ve had the same Sigg bottle for years and years. The dents and scratches are part of the appeal.

It’s like patina.

5 Likes

I’ve never paid $20-$40. I buy them on Amazon and a 27 oz bottle is less than $20 (depending on the finish). My kids get the 18 oz bottles and they cost even less.

You’re missing the forest for the trees. You’re throwing out perfectly serviceable stainless steel water bottles because the paint is scraped. Here are several other choices you could make:

• Buy the plain stainless steel ones (let your kids decorate them with stickers, duct tape, etc.);
  • Teach them “reduce, reuse, recycle” to help them understand that fussing over chipped paint is wasteful;
  • Get Zojirushi stainless steel water bottles instead (twice as expensive, but the color is baked into the finish so that they’re practically indestructible).
2 Likes

For my kids, the issue is more about the denting. I think the reason the bottles are so inexpensive is because they are fairly thin. They take them to school and the bottom is no longer flat and they don’t sit correctly on their desks anymore.

For me, I’ll admit is purely about aesthetics. I don’t wear clothes with holes, when my car starts looking beat up I buy a new one, when my phone screen cracks, I’ll replace it. I like the things I use daily to be in good repair and to look decent. Plus I like getting different colors. I have an orange one now, my last one was black, the one before that was blue.

Plus, if I said I throw them out, that isn’t correct. They go in the recycling bin.

No, not at risk of sudden dehydration, but on a long flight, I like having a bottle of water available.

1 Like

Glad to hear that!

You might want to consider my third option, then: Zojirushi are more expensive for a reason. Stellar products.

Even if they’re going into the recycling bin that is still a lot of supply chain energy (read: carbon emissions) to produce a product that you’re using for a fraction of its potential lifespan.

when my phone screen cracks, I’ll replace it.

I hope you mean the screen and not the whole phone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.