Bowie's takedown of Hadfield's ISS "Space Oddity" highlights copyright's absurdity

Sub-par trolley. You need to work on your subtlety.

6 Likes

You haven’t got any idea what you are talking about, and are ranting based on some imaginary NASA ungrounded in facts and evidence.

I was referring to what he did once the war was over.

NASA. As opposed to the military/DoD side. You are aware that the military has had and still has its own space program, right? Von Braun was actually working for the Army’s space program before he moved to NASA.

NASA does not produce weapons or military technology. The American ICBMs, military satellites, etc. aren’t part of NASA, they are run by the DoD.

A lot. First there’s the spin-off tech:

NASA’s work has contributed to advances in health and medicine, transportation, public safety, consumer goods, environmental and agricultural resources, computer technology and industrial productivity. Their scientific contributions through Hubble, Chandra, Voyager, JWST, Mars Rover, etc. are massive, and NASA up to now has been the single most significant modern source of advances in astronomy and space exploration.

Cutting NASA’s budget 100% would have no effect on American imperialism, since the military space program is independent from NASA.

5 Likes

Your opinion will be relevant when you sing a song in space.

5 Likes

So by your own definition your statement is not relevant…

Once the original creator has had an opportunity to profit from there work, other people should be able to use it for their own benefit for the rest of time?

Hell. Yes.

That is culture. That is literally how culture works. Every one of those songs wouldn’t have existed without using things that had come before them, after all.

The fact that you think any individual should have unlimited control over any aspect of culture, into infinity, is disgusting. It’s an utter perversion of everything the concept of copyright was intended to be. It’s a display of pure, unfettered greed, an expression of longing for indefinite monopolies, of robbing from the past AND the future.

Frankly, I’d much rather live in a world where music like that you named simply doesn’t exist than to live in the world you apparently desire.

Luckily, big money’s on your side. But don’t expect those of us with principals to see the goals of your argument as anything other than atrocious.

9 Likes

Indeed. And neither is yours.

The paradox begins…

1 Like

what goes on between consenting adults is none of my business

this sounds like an agreement and not some magical, compelling law or force that made Chris do what he did

that written, you bet the song is still on the 'net

Lessee… Telstar and subsequent communications satellites, GOES weather satellites, Landsat and the various other Earth imaging satellites, the Hubble Space, Chandra and Spitzer space telescopes, all of the extra-planetary probes…and that’s even before getting to spin-off technologies, which often lead to non-intuitive stuff like new art restoration techniques. Additionally, due to its ubiquity people often forget that GPS is an American military space program.

4 Likes

I haven’t said it does. I’m simply pointing out that your “but its free advertising” statement makes little sense as a response.

So should I be allowed to remix Star Wars by releasing toys and figurines, so long as I don’t take credit for Star Wars? Can I remix it and make my own sequels? Should the Tea Party be allowed to use Joni Mitchell Songs if they want to?

After the original creator has had an opportunity to benefit from the fruits of their creativity?

Yes, absolutely.

If they want to continue benefiting from said creativity, why, I guess they’ll just have to keep creating new things!

5 Likes

I don’t know exactly what point you’re responding to, but who decides when they have had their opportunity, and when that opportunity has expired? Would we see even the Original Trilogy sequels if someone had decided that Lucas had benefited enough by 1978 and allowed all manner of other Star Wars movies to be made? Would JK Rowling have completed her cycle if the market had been flooded with competing Harry Potter books after she had benefited enough? Do authors have any moral rights to control how their works are used?

I’d say that the big absurdity here is that “Space Oddity” is under copyright and will be for at least 70 more years. When Bowie recorded the song it was in 1969, back when the American copyright term was 28 years, renewable for another 28. If those laws hadn’t been changed the song would be going into the public domain in about a year.

7 Likes

OK, except I’ve always assumed that the Gemini launch vehicle was a repurposed ICBM booster. A quick look at Wikipedia seems to back that up. (I don’t know if that’s tangential to your point or not.)

Also, part of the initial plan and cost justification for the Space Shuttle was carrying military payloads into orbit; later, the military backed out IIRC because it was unsuitable for polar orbits, and possibly because of schedule and technical risk.

You know what else rose from the ashes of Hitler Germany? Modern Germany.

12 Likes
4 Likes

The Glove and Boots cover was awesome!

Intellectual Property is one of the stupidest ideas that humans have recently made up. Its very essence is that property/money is more important then freedom, that ideas can be owned, and that the rights of a few to control and profit outweigh the rights of many to create and benifit. Maybe in a distant altruistic universe this concept would work for good and help artists and creators, but here on this planet the only people it typically ever profits are the corporations that own the rights, artists and creators are hurt just as much by this system as are the commons and public domain, and everybody else as well.

The chance that David Bowie actually owns the rights to his own song is very slim unfortunately.

4 Likes

Manufactured outrage in my Boing Boing? Its more likely than you think!

3 Likes

YES, you do. Yes.

And that´s the point.

3 Likes

As has been pointed out already, they signed a one-year license for the song. Maybe you disagree with that practice, but the article title and content, as well as the linked story, completely gloss over this.