Space Oddity played on a a Korean traditional instrument called the gayageum

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Which proves the point that just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should do it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go find something to stop my ears from bleeding.

Agreed. I like ice cream and I like gravy, but that doesn’t mean I like ice cream with gravy.

Hey, @japhroaig, do you figure we’ve got an Ives-ready audience here?

1 Like

Hey, I like 'em both!

Huh, I liked it. I liked Bowie and I like the various East Asian harp-things, whatever the locals call them, and this was a well played cover, as far as I can tell.

The original with its Stylophone stylings has a special place in my heart, but it’s not like it’s sacred or anything.

4 Likes

Huh. I enjoyed it. Would’ve preferred it without the drum machine, but I dug the groovy styling.

3 Likes

I’d quite liked to have discovered what was possible solo, without multi-tracking.
But they denied it me, Jerry, they denied it me.

I enjoyed it a lot. Not much more to say than that.

Bowie would have loved it.

1 Like

Or not. We’ll never know.

1 Like

You are a sad little man.

1 Like

I think so. Or he might have been indifferent to it. But I doubt he would have made a snarky remark about it just because it wasn’t what he was used to.

Much better, I think, is Pacobel Canon as done with gayageums, djs and breakdancers. Bonus: it is a bank commercial :slightly_smiling:
Canon

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

• Socrates

Check out the same performer’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah – it has just the Gayageum with no other instruments.

AFAIK, Ms Lee hasn’t ever played TPTSNBN (The Piece That Shall Not Be Named), bless her, but she has done an arrangement of Albinoni’s Adagio.

“I’ve never responded well to entrenched negative thinking.”
-David Bowie

1 Like

Having one opinion about one thing, is not “entrenched negative thinking”.

Thank you! Esp. nice to see the instrument up close.