Watch this amazing Jimi Hendrix cover of Voodoo Child on a Korean gayageum

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/09/watch-this-amazing-jimi-hendri.html

8 Likes

Pretty awesome! Wish it didn’t have the drum track though, dulls it down a bit by making it sound more standard issue ‘rock’.

2 Likes

Love that she’s wearing an SRV t-shirt!

3 Likes

Learn to duck walk like Angus, and Back in Black would be my favorite Luna cover

5 Likes

Based on the t-shirt, maybe she’s covering Stevie Ray Vaughn’s version?

Rock%20and%20Roll%20-%20Marty%2C%20Back%20to%20the%20Future

4 Likes

And I decided to take guitar this semester :man_facepalming:

1 Like

SHEEEEEEEEET!!!
This is drippy with funky stank! Those low froggy base tones! Wow.

3 Likes

Just a pet peeve. This is not a “Jimi Hendrix cover of Voodoo Child”. That would mean Jimi Hendrix is performing a cover of Voodoo Child, which is like saying a forgery of the Mona Lisa is a “Leonardo da Vinci forgery of the Mona Lisa”.

Words matter.

edit: so does punctuation, which I corrected (hopefully) before someone pointed out my failure.

1 Like

Just a pet peeve. A cover is not a forgery.

1 Like

Thus the word “like”, which indicates the use of an analogy.

1 Like

How about:

Watch this amazing Luna Lee cover on a Korean gayageum of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Child

or

Watch this amazing Luna Lee cover on a Korean gayageum of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s cover of Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Child

The original Mashable headline:
Watch this awesome cover of Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Voodoo Child’ on a traditional Korean instrument

8 Likes

Here’s a cover of Paint It Black (Jagger Richards)

It is in the “unplugged” playlist, so it should give an idea of what her gayageum sounds without a “drum” track

But as this video explains,

her gayageum is modified, so it still might sound dramatically different from a traditional instrument.
4 Likes

Gosh. That’s more than good. It’s like it’s always been a piece for gyageum and I have only just heard it done right.

Here’s a very different sort of thing, but the same sort of magic. This guy has arranged some Holst military band stuff for euphonium and ocarina.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYlHXMcSHs

3 Likes

Unplugged doesn’t necessarily mean no drum track. It means no effects and maybe no amp. In this video it sounds like an acoustic instrument. In the cover of the Hendrix tune it sounds more like an electric guitar because it is going through guitar pedals and an amp.

And there was me thinking ‘needs more fuzz and wah-wah pedals’ and ‘although it is mic’d what would a gayageum with electronic pick-ups be like’ - but I still think it is a truly wonderful thing, despite my brain wondering things, unprompted.

it is mic’d, so i am not sure if it has pickups as well, or if she is running the signal from mic through the pedals, but this is from the youtube description:

All Equipments for recording shooting and performance:
Bose L1 compact amplifire, Orange Crush 20RT amp, Sony headphones MDR-7506,
Boss Disotrtion DS-1 made in Japan, Strymon reverb BigSky,
Nux Time force delay, Nux Loop core, Tone Gauge Overdirve, Moollon custum equalizer, Nux PDI-2
Sony HDR-CX450 camera, Adam A5X monitor speaker, Yamaha MM8 synthesizer keyboard
DAW: Cubase RME babyface audiocard(audio interface) MXL 2006 microphone
Gayageum: customized 12,20,21,25 string Gayageums

I was wondering exactly how her Gayaguem is modified. Anyone here know?

1 Like

The video that jerwin posted explains it.

She uses thinner strings and plays sitting on a chair.

Traditionaly, the player sits on the floor.

2 Likes

Neat!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.