Brawl on Delta flight leads to arrest

The majority of pharmaceuticals travel by air from the companies. Emergency workers responding to FEMA emergencies, COVID workers. Refugees. Specialized medical equipment. Etc. Need a part to repair your building’s boiler when everyone’s out of heat in February? It can wait for UPS ground, I guess?

I guess it’s not essential to someone if it doesn’t directly effect them. Until they think about it.

3 Likes

The cargo wasn’t complaining about how it was treated in-flight.
But for the rest, you make a good point there. Though some of those categories perhaps travel in groups, for which there is a solution - charter flights. I still stand by my contention that many more basic things are way higher up the list.

The ability to travel at a decent price is pretty critical in the modern world.

So yeah, maybe we should expand what our definiton of what a basic utility is.

Donald Glover Yes GIF

Access to food is a far more basic human right than travel, which is also a basic human right…

4 Likes

Those items travel in the belly of passenger jets. It’s an integrated system.

3 Likes

…“pretty critical” is not essential. As you note, there are far more basic human rights. If you mean ‘freedom of movement’ when you say ‘travel’, fair enough, but ‘travel’ in the sense of being able to get on a plane and go places (whether or not at whatever constitutes a decent price, depending where in the world one might be), is not really a basic human right.

I suspect we are going to have to agree to differ, although I was only making comparative priorities.

So we should really split these hairs instead of trying to create a country where all of us have access to the things we need in life? Including travel?

What else would I mean?

Those two ARE connected.

It is.

1 Like

But not the same.

I’ll ignore the “create a country” as I am not in your country but … “where all of us have access to the things we need in life”? Define need. The Declaration of Human Rights is an attempt to do that and it is silent about modes of transport or their cost. What most North Americans (indeed most in the ‘western’ world) think they need and what they actually need and what others elsewhere in the world need are at least three different things. Much of what we think we need is programmed into society by those whose interests it serves, which is not those of the broader mass of people.

I’d rather create a society where we don’t actually ‘need’ so many of these things and not in such quantity, and where vested corporate interests serve society rather than get to dictate how it works.

So I’m not splitting hairs, but on that we differ, apparently. Not gonna pursue it any more, going to bed very soon, anyway. G’night.

Once upon a time United Airlines and Boeing were the same company, but they were broken up due to antitrust laws (which used to be a thing, once upon a time).

Just an interesting observation.

5 Likes

Yes. I must be a dupe of big airline into wanting to have a means for people who are not wealthy to travel for work, family matters, and yes, for pleasure too. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

That is interesting. I did not know that.

Apparently Boeing and the FAA are one as well.

5 Likes

Delta posted $1.2B profit for Q32021, don’t lose any sleep over airline profitability.

Sure, this quarterly posting is for just one airline, however, it is the on-topic airline. Delta ticket prices could be lower if shareholder expectations were tempered to allow better service/security on Delta flights. A mere $200M should buy quite a bit of both for the next quarter, if not year, no?

4 Likes

If only everybody on the flight was armed, it would be perfectly safe!

2 Likes

I agree with your point - but pragmatically - who is going to deal with passengers throwing punches? If on the ground you can call in air port police. In the air you have flight attendants and other passengers. Neither of whom are likely trained or equipped to handle unruly passengers. Neither signed up to get their noses or jaws broken or worse by an asshat who thinks starting a fight on an airplane is a good idea.

I agree cops don’t make things better nor do the right thing all the time. But if people are hurting other people daily on flights, I am not sure what other option there is.

I am open to other solutions and suggestions.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.