Brent Spiner talks about his early days as Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation

Brent Spiner and Johnathan Frakes were both at the local comic con. Took the kiddo and we got to see Spiner’s talk and he is a really funny guy!

5 Likes

I had intended to rewatch the first season at some point for curiosity sake and, well… i got as far as Farpoint. :stuck_out_tongue: The first two seasons really are a hot mess of reheated TOS stories, misogyny and racist stereotypes with, admittedly, some absolute gems like “The Measure of a Man”.

I think Picard may suffer from this as well, early on he’s extremely snooty and unlikeable.

4 Likes

In I Am Spock Nimoy said he cringed looking back at his early performances, “emoting all over the place”. I forget who it was but he credited a director who took him aside and reminded him that Vulcans repress their emotions and to seriously tone down the way he said, “Fascinating.”

In TOS at least such inconsistencies are mostly understandable for a show that was being invented on screen.

9 Likes

What bugged me was his switching pronunciation in the first season from “shed-yool” to “sked-you-all” and then back to “shed-yool” again.

4 Likes

in his british accented french homeland, “shed-yool” is singular, and “sked-you-all” implies the plural :wink:

6 Likes

I use “shed-yool” to let people know I went to a good shool.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.