Picard- All Spoilers Thread!

This thread is for discussion of the new Picard series for those who are currently watching it.

All spoilers- all the time. No blurring.

Turn back now lest you be turned into a pillar of dilithium!

7 Likes

Data’s a Dad! (RIP.)

Loving the show thus far.

7 Likes

Me too!

I am confused with all the talk of how they can’t create another Data level sentient android without access to Data level neurons- no one seems to remember Data’s mother?

8 Likes

I chalked it up to retconning.

4 Likes

And Lore must be sitting on a shelf somewhere.

They’ll be no Spock - it’s set after the Kelvin time line is split off. Which is probably fine - as who else could play him as his mature self?

7 Likes

Romulans seem like they’re less cold - at least those living with Picard. And don’t appear to be limited to the Vulcan mating season.

5 Likes

Right?

Personally, I could accept no one else besides Leonard Nimoy as ‘old Spock,’ anyway.

5 Likes

The Zhat Vash are intriguing. A secret cabal older by far than the Tal
Shiar. Who hate artificial life and intelligence and are harvesting technology from a Borg Cube. And have been operating on Earth.

Are they fighting something like the rouge the Discovery A.I.? Is it actually a A.I. itself seeking to eliminate any threats and controlling their society?

Does Section 31 even know about them?

3 Likes

Odds on this being due to the Romulans having previously created a monster AI that got out of hand?

Further odds on this event being the original cause of the Romulan/Vulcan schism?

7 Likes

I was too busy with school during DS9, Voyager, and the rest to keep up, but I’m certainly glad there’s enough exposition that I can understand what’s going on. I’m all aboard for this.

Still, Baby Yoda still holds the top spot…

5 Likes

Seven of Nine gets an appearance. I wonder if they meet at a Borg Anonymous meeting.

“I am Annika Chakotay, its been 60 days since we’ve…dammit! Its been zero days since I’ve…”

4 Likes

Well - there was that
workplace sign on the cube.

11 Likes

Oh, I hope so; I do so enjoy a good rif on Frankenstein; it’s a classic trope.

That puppet has stolen my ‘cold, black heart’, I admit it:

5 Likes

I’ll admit it; hearing him say engage at the end of tonight’s episode was stirring and nostalgic.

I’m really enjoying this so far.

4 Likes

Has that (presumably) Romulan script shown up in anything else?

There was alien script - not sure if it’s the one you were looking for though.

1 Like

As I watch more episodes I’m more impressed with what they’re doing here that couldn’t have been done during the original series or on tv at the time.

The long form story arc lends itself to deeper, more mature storylines. A serious look at age, regret, looking back at one’s failures, loss of connection. The desire to reconnect and correct failings. The understanding of limitations- the failures of our deals and political norms.

And living beyond when his name and fame carried more heft. The sense of limited time and the clock ticking with his illness.

There’s also the fact that today’s technology has enabled even streaming shows to show more of the future world than they could even in the movies at the time.

6 Likes

I agree. Usually new series, especially Trek series, fumble around for a bit before getting to anything substantial and before the characters become fully formed; this one felt real from day one.

My attention span is usually too short for story-arc sci-fi, but so far I’m impressed not only with the show overall but with how they manage to balance the buildup of the arc with having single episodes watchable on their own.

If you watch the opening credits carefully, HAL 9000’s glowing red eye appears briefly.

1 Like

Odds on the Romulans being the original creators of the Borg?

2 Likes
3 Likes