QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

I’m sick of NOT having a Star Trek thread to round up all the Trek goodness out there, so here it is…

ds9-sisko-babies

Let’s keep it positive and also, try and keep the giffing trek-based! :vulcan_salute:

28 Likes

First I want to share a couple of things from Wil Wheaton… this wonderful story about how not only is the show a great thing to watch and enjoy, it also seems like a wonderfully close knit family that takes care of each other…

Happy Star Trek GIF

And then this silliness:

28 Likes

16 Likes

Early reviews are saying that Picard season 3 is fantastic!

14 Likes

IMHO the early sessions were very bad. I hope they could address the writing problems.

5 Likes

There’s a wonderful video from the first time the full TNG cast were at a con together where they all talk about Wil leaving and it’s incredibly heartwarming.

(sound quality isn’t great, sadly best listened with headphones)

12 Likes
15 Likes

george takei touche GIF

13 Likes

I guess we’ll know more this week!

15 Likes

Jessie Gender, who’s an excellent Trek YouTuber (and also excellent on LGBT issues and other media reviews) got the preview episodes as well and also says they’re great, and she’s been fairly critical of Picard series 1 and 2.

11 Likes
12 Likes

I think this is what I want the most, is to stop being a nostalgia trip and to actually tell science fiction. And not another “something is threatening the entire galaxy” dead horse.

3 Likes

It’s not science fiction; it’s Star Trek.

15 Likes

I enjoy Discovery but for the love of Bob, this.

2 Likes

Aw, come on, Strange New Worlds was good science fiction at times, in that it actually respected the guardrails it set up. If it said that was how the world worked, then by golly, that was how it worked!

I guess I just miss when writers like Ben Bova, Ted Sturgeon and Harlan Ellison could be talked into writing episodes.

2 Likes

I don’t think Bova wrote for Trek? Of the others - you’re talking about 3-4 episodes out of 870 episodes.

8 Likes

If people don’t enjoy it, they don’t have to watch it.

But I would very much appreciate this not turning into a thread to bash things Trek, tho. How about we keep it positive?

12 Likes

I’m rewatching DS9 - which I’ll suggest as being as good as any Trek gets.

So many great episodes.

In the Pale Moonlight, The Siege of AR-558, Far Beyond the Stars - hard to even choose which are the best!

11 Likes

ds9-sisko-yes-baseball-hat

Past Tense, too! Probably the one piece of sci-fi that hits the nail on the head about the near future. The 2024 of those 2 episodes is spookily like right now…

I’ve been slowly rewatching it too, towards the end of Season 3… One thing I’m struck by is just how far out of their way they went to explore different cultures, and to develop the characters. Like the one where Sisko and Jake go on a trip in a ship that Ben had built from plans of an old Bajorans ship that they claim had made an interstellar trip 800 years before (explorers). Just a nice chance to develop the relationship between a father and son.

And then there was the one where Jadzia gets to meet all of Dax’s previous hosts via them hanging out inside her co-workers… and Odo decides he wants to keep being Odo-Curzon!

13 Likes

I was just thinking that we’re going to be at the Bell Riots just before the next election. :flushed::scream:

There should be some sort of event.

12 Likes