Brexiteer businessman hopes Greta Thunberg suffers "freak yachting accident"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/15/brexiteer-businessman-hopes-gr.html

4 Likes

Well, it is a citation from the classics.
Would be perfectly allright in the proper context. Which this isn’t.

4 Likes

35 Likes

Is it ok to joke about the demise of Uk businessmen?

25 Likes

I don’t know, do tax audits happen often in August ?

24 Likes

“Just joking!”

altrightclowns

36 Likes

I mean it’s hot in August, a lot of people drink milkshakes to cool down. Sometimes, purely through accidental coincidence, those milkshakes get spilled on businessmen who happen to be in the vicinity. What can you do?

20 Likes

Banks says controversial things because he knows he will get a response. The outraged response from Lucas, and indeed this article, is exactly what he wants, because it gives him exponentially more coverage, which makes him seem more important, and increases his reach. It is part of the extremification of politics, where “lefty tears” is more of a goal than persuading people of your argument. Moderate Brexiteers will recognise with frustration the technique that Banks and Farage tried to use to turn the Brexit referendum to their personal benefit, at the expense of the broader campaign.

It also works quite well for Thurnberg, generating more publicity for her campaign, and the slightly odd way a random middle class teenager has become the poster child of environmentalism.

I don’t think the sea will be incited one way or another, but the best way to deal with Banks, and people like him from all political perspectives, is to avoid falling into their outrage trap wherever possible.

17 Likes

In fairness, many of us here at BB express the hope that Trump chokes on a hamberder, but context is important.

Trump demonstrably wishes irreparable harm on truth and justice, while Thurnberg demonstrably wishes the opposite.

Just pointing that out before the flood of whataboutism begins.

28 Likes

Aaron Banks is encouraging “stochastic” violence, that term having become popular to refer to public rhetoric that hopes to make something more likely without being personally involved in any act that results from its general encouragement.

Will no one rid me of this meddlesome Brexiteer?
Henry II

23 Likes

I thought it was pretty binary. You want to exit the EU, or you don’t. I guess “moderate” means people who want a deal? Which doesn’t seem likely now (good luck with that economy; ours will be crashing soon, too).

I’m a yank, so what do I know. There seems to be little “moderate” feeling here nowadays, and rightly so. Either you know our current leader is an ignorant, racist, grifter bully, or you don’t care because you get to stick it to the libs.

19 Likes

I think the Brexiteers form a spectrum:

1. Shit! This isn’t what I voted for!
  2. Lets work with the EU to arrive at a compromise agreeable to both sides.
  3. Bretix means Bretix; that includes the possibility of No Deal.
  4. NO DEAL! NO DEAL!
  5. SEND’UM ALL BACK 2 WHERE THEY CAME FROM!
  6. Lets invade the Continent and show Johnny Foreigner what for!
  7. Jacob Rees-Mogg.
30 Likes
10 Likes

Again, I’m a yank so my first thought was “who the hell is that”. Wikipedia page:

he took his "whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church

Ah, there’s the problem.

7 Likes
12 Likes

abso-fucking-lutely.

4 Likes

2 things.

1. When will people learn that wishing death/harm to others is not “funny”.
  2. Why in the fuck do asshats like this care what people like her do? Seriously…MIND YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS AND LIVE AND LET LIVE.
7 Likes

He’s a witch! Burn him!

2 Likes

I hear loads of people are being stabbed in London lately, Mr Banks…

Just some news I read on the paper

3 Likes

Would one of you nice UK folks track this asshole down and punch him in the face? Please.

tumblr_p36dps7izR1w97wono2_500

4 Likes