Brief history of the graphical user interface

Originally published at: Brief history of the graphical user interface | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Portrait yes, monochrome no. Tell me you’re not one of them one-button mouse people too, you monster.

4 Likes

Monochrome, no. A good quality color display? yes. portrait orientation? Very Yes.

OK, fine. 8-bit grayscale and spot red.

4 Likes

The color displays of the time were piss poor.

Should there even be a mouse?

3 Likes

Touché.
My favorite computer setup was a HP/UX 9836 “Chipmunk”, with a scroll wheel next to the keyboard. The wheel would send a flurry of ^F(orward) and ^B(ack) to my emacs, and I’d zip around the file like a ninja, especially if I held down Shift to turn the keystrokes instead into ^N(ext line)s and ^P(revious line)s. Nothing since has compared, and I’ve never found similar scroll wheels for sale for modern machines, alas.

2 Likes

I started my first real job in '83. My first assignment was to use a Xerox Star to draw up a new org chart for the organization in accordance with a chart that the boss had sketched out on paper. That was my first introduction to a gui. It made me glad that I was the one taking it digital and not one of the ones whose box on the org chart was disappearing.

1 Like

Before computers with graphical displays, we used sketchpads and pencils, and posted xeroxed copies to other corporate folk as needed. Them was the days…

matrix-there-is-no-spoon

2 Likes

How about a touch screen that never quite seems to register?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.