Bringing baby-barfing frogs back from the dead?

Originally published at: Bringing baby-barfing frogs back from the dead? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Apparently, the scientists weren’t able to find the entire genome for these frogs, and so replaced some of the frog DNA with dinosaur DNA.

Edited for added sexiness.

6 Likes

I’m here for the “Who’s gastric brooding now?” film line. RomCom horror fusion.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, this was on the retro channel last night.

3 Likes

A young Sam Elliot in exceptionally tight trousers and Ray Milland being grumpy, Columba-era Ray Milland. One of the most 70’s movies ever.

2 Likes

I was also going to post the clip from Psychomania, you know the frog worshiping cult biker flick also from the '70s and a mainstay for the cult horror host famous in Cleveland and Detroit, The Ghoul. But Frogs was on the teevee.

The Ghoul also got a hold of Froggy from the '50s and did all kinds of horrible things to him.

Now I’m all frogged out.

2 Likes

I mean, “Some species are extinct for a reason” sounds like a horror film tag line, but raising one’s brood in one’s own stomach seems like a pretty good reason.

1 Like

Yeah, but also kinda evolutionarily brilliant, if your evolutionary path didn’t happen to stumble across internal gestation, eggs that can hatch offspring big enough to survive reliably, or parenting after hatching/birth.

1 Like

In Psychomania, you can tell that Satan is evil; he shoots flashback scenes in portrait mode.

… We are all moving in perfect peace and harmony towards Elvisness / Soon all will become Elvis

2 Likes

There are still ‘baby-barfing’ frogs- Darwin’s frog males rear eggs in their vocal sacs and bring forth tiny frogs from their mouth.

Reproductive diversity is one of the great things about frogs- there are species that do each of those things; e.g. Surinam toad, Coqui, and African bullfrog respectively.

Though some frogs have internal fertilisation, e.g. tailed frogs (spoiler: that’s not a tail), I don’t think there are any that have internal gestation as well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.