Britain's Channel 4 highlights Twitter abuse in ad campaign

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/08/britains-channel-4-highlight.html

4 Likes

“If you are shocked by the abuse in this adbreak”
No sadly I am not. Not after all the shit that has been going around the past few years and the techbros
enabling it because of freeze peach and their delicate privileged fee fees.

However that doesn’t make it right.

11 Likes

Hashtag BeBest!

1 Like

tumblr_mwo7slS6p31qfeaoyo1_250

6 Likes

Are they going to run the ads in UKIP neighborhoods and Russia?

3 Likes

A certain fraction of people’s decency depends on personal accountability and falls away in its absence. For the rest of us, the saddest of many sad lessons the internet has to teach about human nature is that that fraction is very much larger than marginal.

Every once in a while, on the rare occasions when I converse with total strangers in meatspace about what they do online, there’s a disparaging moment when I realize they’re one such troll, when their mask slips and that glib malevolence momentarily peaks through. As bad as that is, the worse part is that it’s becoming more common. Inhumanity online is emboldening them, and when even the accountability of meatspace ceases to enforce the social contract, I wonder if the real world will become just as barbaric.

Someone should update Hogarth’s The Four Stages of Cruelty for the modern world.

7 Likes

The broadcaster of Big Fat Gypsy Weddings, Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights and the bullying and racism filled Celebrity Big Brother would like you to know that it is shocked, shocked by the presence of abusive behaviour on Twitter.

10 Likes

What, give them cell phones?

4 Likes

Now you mention that, I guess Moby came pretty close…

5 Likes

Now that you mention it, someone should convince Trump that manty-hose and lace collars are really a thing, and in a few months everyone in Wall Street and fundiestan will be wearing them.

2 Likes

The quoted tweets made me sad. But only after that damned font made me angry.

It actually showed this time but I’m glad for the inclusion of the extra link, thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.