Twitter now allows "non-toxic slurs" as long as the slurs are not hate speech

Originally published at: Twitter now allows "non-toxic slurs" as long as the slurs are not hate speech | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Does that mean people are free to call me a “Mick” again?

12 Likes

But if you non-toxic slur pedo-guy, you’ll probably get blocked?

18 Likes

Oh good they left the job of context to an AI, I’m sure it’s all good and fine and twitter will no longer be a cesspool of hate and bigotry. /S

14 Likes

Twitter Safety introduces new “Permissible Expletive Level”; TS PELs with 8-hour TWA for business and upcoming 16-24 hour Extremely Online ceiling values!

In the surprise twist everybody saw coming based on where I stole those acronyms from; the PELs will prove to be laughably low for safety purposes and immediately bogged down by accusations from the trolley, edgelord, and internet-fascist community that they are ‘arbitrary and capricious’.

9 Likes

€20 say “yes”.

9 Likes

Of course not. They must use the term “Michael”.

Oops, did I just figure out a way around the rules guidelines? Shame on me.

10 Likes

And everything he says is non-toxic by default, regardless of whether it would be hate speech by anybody else.

I wish I was joking.

16 Likes

Twitter? That fuckin’ fucker’s fucked.

7 Likes

Apparently on the twitters, this would be okay…

9 Likes

GIF by Amazon Prime Video

6 Likes

You know those racist white guys who use the N-word and then “cleverly” ask why they can’t when Black guys use it all the time amongst themselves as a friendly greeting? Or the occasional edgelord commenter on this site who slips a racial or ethnic slur into a post and then claims that he wasn’t actually using it as a slur because “context”. Musk has just made those behaviours into an AI-governed corporate policy.

15 Likes

I find the data set, while recent, to be really interestingly small. I just did a presentation with stats yesterday and I purposely tightened the window just because it made my point look much stronger.

2 Likes

He’ll allow them in certain cases then say he has to because it’s common usage.

See - I have data!

7 Likes

“Twitter, the global community focal point for civilized conversation.”

Said no-one. Ever.

3 Likes

Slurs are permitted as long as Elon thinks they’re funny.

6 Likes

“Twitter - Just the good slurs!”

4 Likes

The company sure does seem to be working hard to avoid actually saying which specific slurs are now permissible.

7 Likes

Look we can’t CENSOR every Black person who chooses to use the word in a reclamatory way, and it would also be REVERSE RACISM if we only allowed Black people to reclaim the word, therefore we have to train our AI to let EVERYONE use the word in a reclamatory way, dug

7 Likes

Now Elon no longer has to be “concerned” that people can’t stop a hypothetical nuclear attack by not being able to type the n-word into a computer. This is fantastic news for people who are genuinely interested in world peace ridiculous shitheads.

9 Likes