Pro-slavery hate tweet with 2.9 million views generates ad revenue for Musk

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/20/pro-slavery-hate-tweet-with-2-9-million-views-generates-ad-revenue-for-musk.html

14 Likes

Another Musk account? At this point, I believe all Xitter hate accounts are just Musk sock puppet accounts.

27 Likes

Of course this racist goon chose to use a still from Gone with the Wind as an idyllic depiction of a better time.

I wonder how Hattie McDaniel would feel about the suggestion she’d have been better off switching places with the fictitious character she won an Oscar for portraying on screen.

25 Likes

The Hellenist?

Never heard of it. Not taking the bait.

35 Likes

Of course this racist goon chose to use a still from Gone with the Wind as an idyllic depiction of a better time.

Probably because he didn’t know about “Birth of a Nation”.

13 Likes

May he drown in shit. :pray:

19 Likes

He’s using the ‘X’ because there is no Swastika key right?

18 Likes

My only question is why the fuck are we giving this shit airtime on the BBS?

We cover a lot of topics here, I’m aware, but this is just shit-bait.

20 Likes

Shit for clicks as they say.

6 Likes

Another pompous “Western Civilisation” (white supremacy) bro.

8 Likes

At least they didn’t actually link to the tweet this time. I hate it when people use links to Twitter (potentially supplying additional revenue-generating eyeballs to Twitter’s advertisers) when reporting a story when a screen shot or simple description will do.

18 Likes

The bad news: 2.9MM million views of racist garbage.
The good news: 90% were bots

10 Likes

I gathered as much.

A friend who frequents the reddit forums saw my comment and sent me this link.

The still bad news: A non-zero number of real living humans saw that toxic shit.

20 Likes

Just to be clear, I was guessing based on the name, because I’ve seen plenty of trollies with Greek or Roman statue avatars who pontificate about the superiority of Western civilisation and classical architecture in particular. This is very much “a thing” on the far right, and Trump was dog-whistling to that demographic when he declared that federal buildings must be “beautiful”.

Traditional narratives depict imperial Rome as a bulwark against invading barbarian hordes, an image that has clear appeal for the contemporary right. It was also a slave-owning society, and one where women’s power was limited to the home, since they were unable to vote or hold public office.

8 Likes

I am sure.

Regardless, every bigoted hate-mongering fasschole looks the same to me; they are obstacles of progress, to be neutralized and overcome.

25 Likes

So, just to be clear. This wasn’t actually a tweet by Elon. But he is evil because someone else posts a racist tweet he gets blamed for making money because X hosted it?

Don’t get me wrong. I think Elon is a complete asshole with a huge amount of what he actually does say.

But blaming him for this is basically leftist propaganda.

1 Like

yes. yes he is.

incorrect.

it is the responsibility of platforms to moderate objectively harmful content. in musk’s case, it’s not just that he’s incompetent. it’s that he bought twitter ( aka. mired it in debt ) precisely to allow this kind of content on the platform

allowing, encouraging, and promoting hate speech? it’s wrong.

26 Likes

If people are saying certain groups of people should have less rights than others, or must emigrate, or must die. We don’t need to be nice to those people, they’ve already set the tone.

14 Likes

You know, I used to think us Old Norse scholars had gotten the short end of the stick in regards to having idiotic white supremacists interested in the same things, but I think classicists, especially those focussing on Classical Greece, might have it even worse.

Maybe we should form a support group

19 Likes

Facilitating racists and pocketing the proceeds?
Sounds like he should be blamed to me.

Named Caryatids?

13 Likes