Elon Musk begging users to like advertiser's tweets

Originally published at: Elon Musk begging users to like advertiser's tweets | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I mean who actually hearts ads? I know I sure as fuck don’t.

39 Likes

Oddly enough, Musk’s tweet to “press the heart” currently has more likes (3,077) than the ad he was trying to promote.

Sycophantic followers are not generally noted for their high levels of intelligence.

31 Likes

Imagine what the advertiser will have to say when their salesperson says “Your promoted tweet got 3500 likes! Elon mentioned it himself!”

I think it will be something like “and you can only deliver those awful engagement numbers with your home run hitter?”

24 Likes

Jeb bush vibes. Ha.

41 Likes

i trust everyone (but me) saw who Rupert Murdoch was sitting right next to at the superbowl?

Oh what a better world we’d be suffering through if some cosmic anomaly had “softly and suddenly vanished away” the contents of those two adjacent seats -sigh-

25 Likes

Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

17 Likes

I wonder if the Tesla board will have something to say about him drawing attention to another EV ad.

18 Likes

Apparently Hyundai is cool with bigots of all sorts, I mean why else would the choose to do business with Musk? Oh well, not a company I want to buy from, and one I will tell others to avoid.

11 Likes

That reminds me, I haven’t seem one of good ol’ tweets from https://twitter.com/steak_umm on my feed in a while, though the account still seems to be active and lively. That’s unfortunate.

1 Like

Next up: the ad sales team will offer a tier where Musk personally promotes the ad

12 Likes

I feel so much better about having an account where literally the only action I ever take is just blocking ads. Though it sounds like a superfluous action, given the total lack of engagement.

NYTimes just had an article about how online ads are getting shittier and more desperate, and I noted that all their examples were on Twitter…

9 Likes

Do you follow the account?

Do you have your feed set to “For you” or “Following”?

Serious question here because I don’t use twitter, does Tesla advertise on twitter?

5 Likes

musk’s patheticism (is that a word?) makes me laugh. Good for him.

4 Likes

Wait, enough people are watching the American adaptation of Ghosts to start making memes from it?!

5 Likes

I’m sure this is exactly the kind of engagement advertisers are paying big bucks for. Pity likes.

7 Likes

We haven’t quite gotten to the point of Musk having tesla remote-disable vehicles to keep them from driving away as he rushes up with his squeegee for some aggressive panhandling; but we are getting closer.

12 Likes

Anyone paying attention would know that Twitter’s metrics are currently FUBAR anyways. As soon as the “views” information became available, people tested it by checking views on new posts from private accounts with no subscribers, only to see their view count shoot up. Which suggests it’s another “Facebook video views” type situation where they’re grossly misrepresenting the actual views of any post, either through incompetence or malevolence. Even with that being the case, view counts on the posts of people with high subscriber numbers are a fraction of what they should be, suggesting that most Twitter accounts are either only rarely active or totally inactive. Basically, any potential advertiser should be aware that they’re unlikely to get many eyeballs on their ads, and any metrics that Twitter provides to suggest otherwise are simply false.

15 Likes

Tesla doesn’t advertise on Twitter (at least that I have seen), but Tesla doesn’t really advertise anywhere. Musk apparently doesn’t think it is cost effective and prefers to spend the marketing budget on things like building out the Supercharger infrastructure, which actually I find hard to disagree with, but it does make one wonder why he wanted to own a company that mostly only makes money by being an advertising destination…

10 Likes