Elon Musk begging users to like advertiser's tweets

If you don’t think there’s any gold to find in them there hills, that doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea to sell shovels to the folks that do.

Musk is an idiot and an asshole, and he’s worth of criticism on a variety of levels, but in this one, specific instance, I don’t think there’s anything especially noteworthy about selling advertising to other people while not buying it yourself.

And it fits right in with the traditional right wing “money is going to be worthless soon, so for some inexplicable reason we’re willing to sell you precious gold/silver/packaged food for soon to be worthless money!” grift.

6 Likes

Tbh, i am not familiar with the show from the gif :sweat_smile: i just searched for the keyword “desperate”. Is it good?

4 Likes

Tesla board members can’t all be fools. By now at least one would have already hedged their bet.

4 Likes

And there’s more:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/exclusive-us-lawmakers-press-labor-department-to-probe-child-labor-in-hyundai-supply-chain/ar-AA17lodc

6 Likes

Hey it’s the two guys who bought a successful social media site and somehow managed to fuck up those sites.

5 Likes

I did heart an ad the other day, but it was from the National Film Board of Canada promoting the Tanya Tagaq film Ever Deadly so what else was I supposed to do?

Otherwise, I block advertisers as soon as I see them. It gets interesting to see what sort of ads appear after a while.

6 Likes

After that a tier where Musk personally pays for the ad.

6 Likes

I tried. As a Brit fan of the original UK version. I lasted 5 mins. A ‘pale shadow’ would be kind, a ‘desecration’, true.

@Grey_Devil I refer you to my comment above. If you’ve not seen it, get a VPN and try the BBC version on iPlayer (is it on any US streamers?)

4 Likes

As alluded to above, it’s okay. Just okay. The English version is great. It’s done by the Horrible Histories folks, and those shows are fantastic for the kids. If you watch the UK Ghosts and then follow up with the US one, you’ll be shocked by how hammy and overacted it seems. I remember having the same reaction to the IT Crowd remake. They can’t all be The Office.

I think the original is on Britbox.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they’re on hiatus under the current Twitter environment. Too sensible.

1 Like

No, they tweeted today.

1 Like

“Please clap,” said Jeb(!) Bush, before Trump branded him as “Low Energy” Jeb.
This has that same energy.
Maybe we’ll call him Lo-En from now on?

8 Likes

Anything with Rose McIver in it gets a thumbs-up from me :+1:

( … okay maybe not “a christmas prince” though )

2 Likes

Yes. Even A Christmas Prince

Also excellent as Skank with Attitude and Horny Mourner in the little seen Veronica Mars “spin-off” Play it Again, Dick

4 Likes

… well see then? That’s just how awesome she is

2 Likes

space x does

6 Likes

i did the same a long time ago and now i don’t see any ads at all (just hope i didn’t just jinx it).

Maybe they figured out i wouldn’t buy anyway so showing me ads is worthless (finally a good AI)

3 Likes

where does this label come from? Just conflating awful people or is there any real connection?

He tried pumping Dogecoin from that, with little effect. I wonder if he still has some of it that he wanted to clear out? His ability to shake the market with a tweet seems to be dying. He’d better fire more engineers.

9 Likes

Just over a decade ago I ran across Hyundai advertising on some random man-o-sphere site and Hyundai Canada later wrote back to let me know they’d blocked the site from their advertising. That might have plausibly been just an accident. But the child labor that I just learned about in this thread? That’s definitively evil.

7 Likes